Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Great Mule Deer Hunt

Well it’s kind of funny how it all works out. My brother and I drew out together back in 2002 for our first deer hunt and had a great time, but were both unsuccessful with memories that will last a lifetime. We had decided to put in together for another hunt this year and drew our first choice. We were really excited but I told my brother I do not know the area at all, he has been living near the area now for nearly 3-4 years and feels pretty confident that we will do ok. The Wednesday before the hunt my brother had called me and told me some bad news, he was not going to be able to hunt opening Friday or Saturday. I was pretty bummed but new he had to run to the valley to make some cash which I completely understand in this economy. For myself I had taken the whole hunt off, so I was going to hunt in an area that I had no idea where to go. I decided to Leave Friday morning and hunt the late morning through the evening. I had a friend come over to borrow some bullets Thursday night, and he gave me some areas to check out. When I got there Friday late morning it was like a ghost town, no other hunter in sight. I’m so used to hunting whitetail in the southern units and 22 with a zoo of people.

Well I hit the first area with no results, hiked about 2-3 miles back in not seeing a lot of sign decided to check out another area for the evening. I pulled up to the second area and found a good hill to glass from so I packed my gear and headed over. As I set up I hear this banging noise as someone was loading their truck. I saw a guy and lady friend loading wood just making a ton of noise. I decided to hike over to another ridge and glass there. I found another great spot and started glassing again. After 3 hours of glassing I began to tell myself that I was seeing things move. Every stump seemed like it had antlers on it. With the long drive up, hiking in the morning and sitting here for what seemed forever I told myself that I needed to get back to the truck while I still had daylight. Well I did just that after not seeing a dane thing, I realized I still had more daylight and should not have left. I called it a day and said, just wait till Scott (my brother) gets back and hunt with him. Well As I got back into my truck I started the 20 mile drive back to his house. As I was driving down I saw a group of deer cross the road in front of me. I grabbed my gun, stopping the truck about 400 yards before them and head toward the pines. As I got about 50 yards off the road I missed my opportunity as the deer ran down the mountain. I noticed they were both had antlers on them but took of way to fast in the thick terrain. As I turned back towards my truck I saw 6 more bucks coming within 200 yards. I picked out the biggest one and dropped him in his tracks. I just thought to myself, I hiked this morning, glassed for a few hours this evening, and then dropped a buck on my way out? I am just glad it was an easy pack out and got lucky, right time, right place. I called my brother and he was in disbelief that I got one opening day.

post-2686-0-95839700-1353300558_thumb.jpg

For my brother, I hunted with him on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday passing up on about 15 smaller bucks. On Friday he connected with this nice 4X4 down a nasty steep canyon. I was over in Eagar when he called, so I headed over and helped him pack out his buck. The buck was on the other side near the top. He told me he didn't know how we were going to get to it, but where there is a will, there is a way! These were are first muley bucks, and Scott had put a ton of time into this unit.

If you can see the red circle, My brother is in the pic as I hiked to the Canyon to take this picture. It was a steeeeppp hike there and out!

post-2686-0-53460800-1353301271_thumb.jpg

My Brother and his First Muley

post-2686-0-11789200-1353301092_thumb.jpg

My buck after I took the meat, the Coyotes had a feast! 2 days later.

post-2686-0-48503000-1353300714_thumb.jpg

Boiling the Skull

post-2686-0-42648200-1353300634_thumb.jpg

Dead Bear that was found. Called it into AZGF, said looks like it was dumped there, back legs were missing but guts still there and a fresher kill, still had alot of juice in it!

post-2686-0-83678300-1353300584.jpg

post-2686-0-39694900-1353300841_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great time Devan!! Congrats. How was the body on your buck? What round, and how did the bullet perform? Now you should be ready to get back south and do some REAL hunting again.

Congrats again to you and your brother Devan! Good write up and some really nice bucks. That looks like a steep area to be packing meat out of.

Congratulations on a couple of nice bucks! That sure looks like a steep canyon to get your bro's buck out of.

Thanks guys for your comments! John my buck had a big ol body, I couldn’t believe how much meat I got off him, defiantly a lot bigger than my brothers. For as the rifles used, mine was a Custom Hart 300 RUM on a Remington action, the 210 vld did a great job. I did the gutless method when getting the meat off so I didn’t get a chance to recover the bullet. Only one small hole, and no exit at 225 yards. My brother took his buck with a 7mm Tikka T3 Lite. It was hard to believe his buck was in that steep canyon, if you click on the picture to blow it up, you can barely make Scott out in the picture.

Clint, great job on your buck to!!!! To bad we didn't run into each other.