Sign in to follow this  
Leadsled

24b Mule deer

I saw 3 go out while we were on the hunt. All were spikes or small forks. All were on opening day in the queen valley area. Very congested area with loads of hunters and offroaders. I had a buck in sights but could not make it happen as it was close to a road with traffic. Didnt see squat for 8 solid days but does, and whitetails running with the mule does. Trash hunt rings in my ears. Needless to say, I put out some milage on my boots and got to see some nasty country, but had a blast.

I am also scouting hard in 24b. I've spent probably at least 6-10 days hiking around and glassing 24b. I have found areas with no sign at all, and others crawling with tracks and droppings. I've jumped one doe, a herd of javelina, and a couple coyotes. Just that one doe.... Somehow I expect to kill a buck. :wacko:

I was out there. On the 15th ( day before season ) I saw one small forky and 6-8 does and fawns. Opening day I was able to glass 2 does bedded in separate locations and alone, jumped 4 does, glassed 3 does and a small spike. Second day glassed 4 does and the small forky i harvested. I know of three bucks taken near my location, including mine. All were spikes and forkies running with does. I met a sheriffs officer out there who said his rancher buddy had seen two big 4x4's the weekend prior. The big ones are there. I have seen them. Gotta get away from the traffic.

I had 2 buddies that hunted the whole hunt and never saw a spike, only doe's!

Was scouting for dec WT and saw two herds up higher than where I saw all the hunters on my way in......one buck in 30 mins in glassing....

Four of us hunted eight of the 10 days and saw a bunch of does and five bucks: 1 small spike, 2 2x2's, 1 3x4 and 1 4x4. A buddy of mine took one of the 2x2's on the 4 day and I took the 4x4 on the last day of the hunt. We did a lot of hiking for good vantage points and glassed, glassed, glassed.

I have seen a few nice bucks in there the last couple years. Never had a tag though. Usually quail hunting. Did call in a buck that was at least 28" wide while coyote calling last year.

I was in 24b for the first and second WT hunts and I didnt see single mule deer. I ran into some guys that were scouting for their mulie tag, and in 2 days of scouting, they had only seen 2 does and a forky.

Four of us hunted eight of the 10 days and saw a bunch of does and five bucks: 1 small spike, 2 2x2's, 1 3x4 and 1 4x4. A buddy of mine took one of the 2x2's on the 4 day and I took the 4x4 on the last day of the hunt. We did a lot of hiking for good vantage points and glassed, glassed, glassed.

Pictures?

Theres mulies in the spots you would never think there should be mulies. Big ones too!! Not giving away info sorry, but they are in there. Some of them think they are bighorn sheep.

Last time I hunted this unit was about 4-5 years back with my dad and we had a hard time finding bucks. We finally found a nice bunch of them near Roosevelt Lake and my dad was able to take a small 2x2. We had lots of help from a cousin who lives in the area. He said that the lions have put a big dent in the muley numbers.