Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Hybrid's update!

Well let me start by saying 2 years ago I was looking at some muley doe's and thought what is that coues doing with them. Well it was the first time I had seen a Hybrid so I was confused but after watching them and seeing them on several occasions I knew it was an offspring of the big muley doe in the group.

post-4217-0-81225700-1354979523_thumb.jpg

The next year I found the group again and this time Hybrid #1 had grown up and now there was a Hybrid fawn with the group as well. Also on that day I was able to see a coues buck with the group and I would assume he is the father of the Hybrid's. That coues buck chased off a muley buck that was bigger than him. I couldn't believe he did that but I guess he was the agressor and the muley didn't want to fight.

post-4217-0-19970100-1354979883_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-21663100-1354979990_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-21469500-1354980020_thumb.jpg

Now that brings us to yesterday when I found them again and this time there were three Hybrid's with a group of muley's. The oldest Hybrid had a fawn this summer and they all looked healthy and doing fine. I feel lucky to have seen this evolve over the years and wonder what tomorrow brings! Hopefuly you enjoy the short story and photos.I will update them when I find something new or get better photos of them

post-4217-0-29620500-1354980606_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-21116600-1354980640_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-57251600-1354980694_thumb.jpg.

• Like 1

That is awesome! I've always wanted to see a hybrid out in the wild.

VERY COOL so nice to see this stuff actually happening - thanks

would be nice if they produced a buck this yr.

Yes, I hope that one day they will have a buck and I will get some pics of him too!

This is what you do....wait til there's a hybrid buck with a coues tail, the buck should score in the 130 s when he's 3 or 4 yrs old! Awesome stuff! I worked as a biologist and I know you got more info on hybrids than most state game and fish does!

upon a closer look- the whitetail buck attacks the spike buck and the bigger buck is leaving - you can just see his antler-- i first thought the attcked deer was a doe but when enlarged you can see the spike

i'd have that pic enlarged ! awesome!!

Wow, awesome and fascinating all at the same time! You have really caught some major evolution here. I hunted an area years ago that held great numbers of big Muley's and an occasional Coue's. A fire went threw the area 10 years ago and I quit hunting it. I went back up there this year and there were tons of deer however they were all Coue's with an occasional Muley. I have to wonder now with your documented evidence if most of those are actually hybrids. I also have to wonder if the Mule deer will one day go away because of the aggressive dominance of the white tail buck??

GBA

Cool Pics! Ive seen a coues buck rutting a muleys does two years in a row until a bigger muley kicks him out. Hopefully I will see him around in the rut again!

That's really cool to see. Thanks for providing the pics and story

I do have a question though. It was my understanding that deer hybrids were sterile and could not reproduce similar to how mules cannot reproduce. You said that the oldest hybrid doe had a fawn this summer so that made me think of that. Amanda or anyone else know more about that?