the_real_oneazbowhunter

road hunters

I guess, I really don't have a strong opinion on this. I just hunt my style and let the chips fall where they may. As a young man my goal was always to get away from the other hunters than take on the game. it made for some crazy packouts. Now I try and walk a line, between crazy packouts and being successful. We use rangers to get from point A to point B and many times we don't get too far away from them. Don't really even think in terms of running into game with them, just getting farther back in and to great glassing areas with limited pressure. My gun is in the back of the ranger, in a hardcase unloaded, my binos and tripod are in my backpack in the back of the ranger. I don't even have optics on my person when I am driving.

My hunting usually involves glassing from cliffs and highpoints, broke my first bone this year trying to get to a bear in a crazy nasty canyon. Great road was just above it, but it was wild, nasty and dangerous below. Have a screw in my left radius bone to prove it. I am all about getting the most elevation I can and honestly using the least amount of energy possibly to do it. Try to save that for the packouts at the end, Take Care, JLG.

A friend of mine was in 18a driving from glassing spot to glassing spot when he was observed by the game warden in the unit. The game warden stopped him an informed him that he was road hunting and could write him a ticket. He elected not to but did tell him if he observed the behavior again he would cite him for road hunting. I personally do not believe it's road hunting but like alot of game and fish rules it's up to the wardens opionon if you are in violation.

The warden would have a tough time making that stick if the guy was doing it with an unloaded and sheathed rifle. Any time we are driving ... whether it is to a spot to start hiking from, or if we are driving from one good glassing point to another (after some tough days) ... our guns are unloaded and in their scabbards. In fact, with my boys, I always carry the bullets in my pockets until we get somewhere to glass. Maybe we miss a shot opportunity and maybe not, but saftey is always number one. I don't think you can "road hunt" like that. Also don't think there are too many judges that would let that fine stand ... of course, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I do a lot of driving around on roads to reach places where I can glass. Sometimes I get our of my truck to glass and sometimes I do not. My spotting scope is equipped with a window mount and I use it a lot. When I find something I want to shoot, I leave the truck and try to get closer on foot for a shot. If what I do is illegal or unethical, so be it. I do not qualify for a CHAMP permit as the rules are written, despite a heart condition that keeps me from walking very far without stopping to rest a lot.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I do a lot of driving around on roads to reach places where I can glass. Sometimes I get our of my truck to glass and sometimes I do not. My spotting scope is equipped with a window mount and I use it a lot. When I find something I want to shoot, I leave the truck and try to get closer on foot for a shot. If what I do is illegal or unethical, so be it. I do not qualify for a CHAMP permit as the rules are written, despite a heart condition that keeps me from walking very far without stopping to rest a lot.

Bill Quimby

As long as you leave the truck and get well off of the road you are perfectly legal. Glad you can still get out and enjoy the hunt!

Bill Quimby

I'm with you on this one Bill.

TJ

• Like 1

Isn't this why everyone buys a bow short enough to shoot out of the cab of your truck.... Let them have it. It only means do your homework and put your time in. If you're dedicated you will get on nice bucks no matter how close or far from the road.

• Like 1

Funny part about these discussions is that in AZ not all roads, count as roads when pertaining to the regulation. Road is a marked road that is known by the forest department. Lots of Arizonas roads aren't really even roads. They are unmarked off road trails. The key is. You can't use the vehicle to hunt from (according to regs), like rest your gun on it or shoot from inside.

My problem is that everyone in the history of the world hunted from something? They used to hunt from horses? Then from Model T's, then from three wheelers, probably tanks in ww2. Whats the big deal? Its was just a different style.

The rule is that you must be one step off a road, not shooting over a road. Thats all.I have friends that are older and they just can't climb every hill for 5 days any more. Don't act like you never wanted to just get in the truck and drive for a little while after 2 or 3 days of climbing all over.....hahahahahaha

Shut your lib has some good points, just hunt and enjoy. Everybody out in the woods is the same demographic, lots of things in common.

I hunt all kinds of ways, mostly hike and glass, but I love it when I see some nice deer from my binos in the heat of the truck!!!!!!

Funny part about these discussions is that in AZ not all roads, count as roads when pertaining to the regulation. Road is a marked road that is known by the forest department. Lots of Arizonas roads aren't really even roads. They are unmarked off road trails. The key is. You can't use the vehicle to hunt from (according to regs), like rest your gun on it or shoot from inside.

My problem is that everyone in the history of the world hunted from something? They used to hunt from horses? Then from Model T's, then from three wheelers, probably tanks in ww2. Whats the big deal? Its was just a different style.

The rule is that you must be one step off a road, not shooting over a road. Thats all.I have friends that are older and they just can't climb every hill for 5 days any more. Don't act like you never wanted to just get in the truck and drive for a little while after 2 or 3 days of climbing all over.....hahahahahaha

Shut your lib has some good points, just hunt and enjoy. Everybody out in the woods is the same demographic, lots of things in common.

I hunt all kinds of ways, mostly hike and glass, but I love it when I see some nice deer from my binos in the heat of the truck!!!!!!

As far as shooting 'from or over' a road, you've definitely got it! You must be at lease one step off of the 'maintained' roadway.

As far as 'road hunting' goes though, I believe that all of the rules/regulations refer to 'hunting from a vehicle' as opposed to 'road hunting'. So whether you're on a maintained road or an old wagon trail the rules still apply.

S.

:)

If you draw a good tag and can't your lazy #@% out of the truck and hunt, do the rest of us all a favor and find a new hobby!

Like Yoda would have said,Mmmm Road hunt you say,

LikeTry Not. Do or do not, there is no try.

When you hunt from the darkside, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.

Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.

• Like 2

"If you draw a good tag and can't your lazy #@% out of the truck and hunt, do the rest of us all a favor and find a new hobby!"

Hunting is not a hobby for me. I hunt because I must, and I will hunt until I can't.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Hunter itnerference is figured into the mix when the AZGFD decides how many tags to issue! I you don't like to deal with this then put in for a better tag/area/hunt!!!! Or buy a governors tag!!!! STOP UR WHINING!

Deer and Elk hunters don't have exclusive rights to the woods just because they have a tag! There are plenty of other hunting seasons open and other activities that may ruin or actually provide shot opportunity! LIVE WITH IT!

That "road hunter"spent his hard earned money on his tag and license just the same as the "non road hunter" did who are we to say the way he is hunting is wrong. If he is following the laws as they are printed in the regulations it should not matter to anyone. Plus if the "non road hunter" is far enough off the road he should not have any concern of what the "road hunter" is doing anyways!

• Like 1

This late Bull season in 8 we saw a little white prop plane pulling slow circles around Mckracken knolls and Jackass, down to Wild Steer.... That has to be worse than cruising the roads right? So next year my hunting party is getting a hot air balloon! Carry on all y'all.

Thanks,

Garron