Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Dec Tag Filled

Dec 5 started the countdown for the 10 day "forecast". All is well for opening weekend, about a week out, a "chance" of rain crept in...no worries its a long hunt. Final scouting trip left me in a lot of back pain, hobbling around, visit the chiropractor and the visit helps, but not enough to set up camp, so I stay home. Sitting at home on Thursday night the rain moves in, alarm goes off, still raining... can't miss opening day, decide to head out. Miserable rainy day...call it quits early and head home. Get some rest, up before the alarm, head out. Greeted with rain in Superior, keep driving. Out drive the rain, turn up a familiar road, start glassing. Soon spot a buck pushing a doe, is he a shooter or not, what to do, 16 days left in the hunt, Dec tags don't come around often. Then the rain comes, pull out the tarp cover me and the gear, deer beds, can't see the buck, but I can see the doe, he won't leave his doe. Finally he gets up, shakes off the rain, and beds again. I get a better look... I like him.

post-295-0-87883000-1355633020_thumb.gif

post-295-0-40683100-1355633412_thumb.gif

Time to shoot, range the buck, 450 yds, dial the scope squeeze the trigger, nice sound, but did I hit him, can't find him in the scope, jump back in the binos, he's hit, but not down, squeeze another round off... did I hit him, can't find him...back in the binos, there he is, got to shoot again okay relax, breath, squeeze... he's done.

Pick a land mark, take off after to him, of course nothing looks the same, walking around zig zaging in the rain, find the yellow patch of grass, there he is..I am very happy. Now its raining harder, sopping wet, get him boned out, pack is dripping with water, oh my back...long slow hike to the truck.

post-295-0-84315800-1355633093_thumb.jpg

post-295-0-86078500-1355633124_thumb.jpg

Turn on the radio, listen to the last two minutes of the Cats bowl game!! Great day.

Time to start shooting the bow!

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

That would be a very tough buck to pass, December tag or not. Congratulations on making it happen in bad weather with a sore back.

Great buck! Great story! Huge congrats on a great buck! My brother and two friends had december tags three years ago they hunted hard. On openning day I found a beautiful mature buck that would not score that well but had great character. It was a long ways off and at the top of a nasty canyon/mountian! We crossed one canyon to get a better look at him and after making several compelling arguements only my friend decided to fling some lead. The death march up to the buck and back to the truck ensued and I felt like we were not going to make it back alive...remember we were only going to go for a closer look so we did not have enough food/snacks or water for the haul out! Anyway, my brother and other friend hunted the rest of the season and only found a fork to shoot at but did not harvest!

You did the right thing! You saw a buck you liked and well.....the rest is written history! If you didnt shoot, it may have turned out like my brothers hunt!

You made the right decision! I would have shot.

I cant believe he was bedded out in the open like that.

Congrats!!

Jeff

Congratulations on a very nice buck. Sounds like you made a good day out of a bad day. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Thanks everybody for the replies, one of the hardest things (as I am siting at home right now) with punching a Dec tag early is all the days given up that one could be hunting... its not even finding a bigger deer... its just being out (and of course the what if's a monster is found...).

Luckily Jan archery is right around the corner, pig tag on the fridge and OTC deer tag soon to be purchased.

Good luck to the rest that have tags.