Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

3 blade 100grain muzzy broadhead

I tried over the past two weeks... I mean I tried and tried and tried to get those things to fly. Tuned up everything as best as I and my bow shop could. Just kept hitting high and right of my field points. I REALLY wanted to switch over from mechanicals for my upcoming elk hunt, and reading this post I was pretty sure the Muzzy 100's were the ticket. Bought a 6 pack and just couldn't get them to dial in with my field points. I'm sure they are a fantastic broadhead- proof is right here in the many CWT'ers who are loyal users. I have to keep testing heads- I seriously don't want to rely on a mechanical broadhead in November, even though my NAP Killzones are 1 for 1 in the hit/kill department. I just don't trust the hunt of a lifetime to moving parts on a broadhead and the massive body cavity of a bull elk.

I have been shooting 90grain 4blade muzzy for years. The always fly low right compared to field points. Tune ur bow to what u hunt with, broad heads and don't worry bout the difference in flight to field points. Practice with broad heads, shoot broadheads. There is a reason muzzy makes the practice blades:) Cause more often then not they fly diff then field points. If they are grouping good, stick with them!!!!

I love my muzzy 3 blades but had issues tuning as well I shoot shwackers now but agree with shoot and only practicing with the broad head it's eats up your target a bit more but it's the only way to really shoot consistent in the feild.

I have been shooting 90grain 4blade muzzy for years. The always fly low right compared to field points. Tune ur bow to what u hunt with, broad heads and don't worry bout the difference in flight to field points. Practice with broad heads, shoot broadheads. There is a reason muzzy makes the practice blades:) Cause more often then not they fly diff then field points. If they are grouping good, stick with them!!!!

I dig what you're saying... But I don't want to have to move my sight pins around between shooting a 3D course and hunting. I have read online and in magazines that the solution to tuning Muzzy's or any fixed blade BH's is to shoot two groups with field points and two with the muzzy's, if the broadhead POI is off move your rest in the direction of the field point group in <1/32" increments until the POI's match. Well, I did that a few times over and never got them to hit the same. Again, it is not the Muzzy's fault- they are a solid head with a fantastic track record. My current set-up just doesn't want to play nice with them. I personally like the ability to go from field points to my mechanicals with very minimal change in POI.

I used 100gr Muzzys with my old Mathews FX. They were solid heads and always grouped tight. Every year, I had to adjust my sights because they flew differently than my field points (typically high right if memory is correct). Then I moved to Flagstaff and was in BBA talking about it. They told me it was a bow-tuning issue. Shortly after that, I had to have a new string put on my bow, getting a tune up in the process. 3-blade Muzzys dead on with my field points out to 50 yards. During a practice session one day, I was using a brick to hold my target down. I missed the target and hit the brick. It split in half length-wise, dinged up 2 of the blades, but the trocar tip and my arrow were in great shape. Loved Muzzys!

Unfortunately, I ended up getting a new bow, increased the poundage and switched to Shuttle T-Locks for the shorter profile, so I never did harvest anything with my Muzzys. If my BIL still has my old FX, I may try and use it with those Muzzys I gave him this November so it can finally get bloodied!

I dig what you're saying... But I don't want to have to move my sight pins around between shooting a 3D course and hunting. I have read online and in magazines that the solution to tuning Muzzy's or any fixed blade BH's is to shoot two groups with field points and two with the muzzy's, if the broadhead POI is off move your rest in the direction of the field point group in <1/32" increments until the POI's match. Well, I did that a few times over and never got them to hit the same. Again, it is not the Muzzy's fault- they are a solid head with a fantastic track record. My current set-up just doesn't want to play nice with them. I personally like the ability to go from field points to my mechanicals with very minimal change in POI.

Have you tried spin testing the muzzy's? That would be the last thing to do. Sometimes this will show you something you havent seen yet. If you have done this and still cant get them to tune? then I dont know what else to tell you to help you out. It sounds like tried all the solutions.

+1 on spin testing. If you get any wobble keep rotating heads til you dont. A lot of times your insert may need set again. A little wobble magnifies a lot at 300 fps.

nice bulls , used for ever trying nap thunderheads they leave a large blood ttrail. goodluck, they are great

Have you tried spin testing the muzzy's? That would be the last thing to do. Sometimes this will show you something you havent seen yet. If you have done this and still cant get them to tune? then I dont know what else to tell you to help you out. It sounds like tried all the solutions.

I didn't try that- nor did I try lining up the blades with the fletching. I already sold them off and I'm sticking with the NAP killzones for now. I will be trying Shuttle-T's or slick tricks next, and I'll have my bow shop do a spin test. Thanks guys!

Shot my first javelina with this head several years ago at 22 yards. Drilled him, had excellent blood then it stopped. Never found the pig, but did find pig hair in coyote poop 3 days later so I assume it was that one. Accuracy was acceptable, but they were loud in flight if I recall correctly. Blew through the pig like a hot knife through butter, found it about 20 yards beyond the piggy.

If you want fixed blades for the fall, try Slick Tricks. They are nasty! I haven't had any issues with them flying different than my field points and they are pretty tough. The picture is an exit wound from a 45 yard shot, buck only made it about 40 before piling up

post-4141-0-89962700-1376081172_thumb.jpg

Personally there is nothing wrong with Nap Killzones and I wouldn't hesitate shooting a big ole stinky bull with them. Just be sure you are shooting a stiff spined heavy 450 grain or better arrow. This is not to say shoot Mechanical's because fixed blades wont shoot with your field points. There does seem to be a tuning issue however I have heard Muzzy can be tough as heck to dial in with some set ups. Some people have went to quick spin fetches and brought them in. I have complete confidence in Killzones, if you don’t have that kind of confidence in your heads or set up them don’t shoot them, find something you do have confidence in.

GBA