Sign in to follow this  
218buck

scope for long range gun

My gun is almost finished i thought i would ask every one again about scopes that can go out to over 1000 yards i appreciate all the help i have heard alot of good things about night force and vortex seems to be gaining in popularity thanks

I love my leupold mark 4, haven't had a bad leupold yet.

The jury is still out on the Vortex haven't seen it in action.

Ill let you know what I think of the Nightforce once I pick it up and send some rounds down range with it.

I think all of them will do, it's about the style you want to get the job done.

I have the 6.5x20x50 vxiii leupold. Great scope with 94moa for height and wind. If I was gonna build another I would go with 8.5x25x50 leupold vxiii LR . I have had great results with my scope and it has taken 6animals over 500yrds.

The big thing I don't like about some of the other scopes is the exposed turret. I have my gun In a scabbard and I like knowing they won't twist in scabbard, bushes or by accident. The vxii scope have the capped turrets and that's why I like them.

One of the biggest things is how far u want to shoot, pay attention to how much MOA adjustments u have.

I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 and it is amazing. Way better glass quality than vortex and leupold. Much more accurate turret adjustments as well. My Leupold MK4 is definitely not as precise at extreme long distances with my 338 lapua. Only way I could see improvement would be getting a Schmidt & Bender. Best glass quality, most precise turrets and an overall bulletproof scope. Only thing that sucks about them is price

My brothers in law are way ahead of me in the long range shooting world and I have been able to learn

a lot lately.

About a month ago I looked through and and shot two .308's that had a schmidt and bender (army special forces issued-one brother in law is in SF)

and a bushnell HDMR with the HORUS reticle.

Of course the Schmidt had better quality glass but was over $3000 vs. $1300 for the Bushnell.

The bottom line with my 3 brothers in law was the Bushnell was worth the money and the

Schmidt (yes, again with better glass) wasnt really worth spending over $3000.

Dont let the bushnell name sour your taste on a long range quality scope, i was suprised that

it was pretty good glass and had the front focal plane.

Jeff

• Like 1

I personally use the Swarovski Z5 and Z6 series (1" /30MM respectively) with BT/Plex Reticle and Outdoorsmans Turrets

I use a Leupold 6.5x20 that I sent to Leupold and had the Mark 4 turrets installed ($75.00) it's awesome. Repeats perfectly and I have had 0 issues with the turret settings at longer ranges.

One of the recommendations I have with any scope with finger adjustable turrets (covered or not) is on that has a zero stop. Very handy for a hunter because it is easy to find the zero the set to a certain MOA.

I'm planning on buying the Vortex PST 6.5-34x50 first focal plane! It has a zero stop and a capped turret. At under $1000 it's a great value.

I've had the Leupold VX-III, Vortex PST, Sightron SIII and Nightforce NXS on my LR rifles. The Nightforce is a cut above the others, but not necessarily a good fit for each of my rifles. The NXS is a quality scope, but it is heavier and bigger than the other scopes mentioned. My 13 lb. rig that sits a McMillan A-5 stock wears it well. However, an identical NXS felt top-heavy and awkward on top of my 10 lb. mid-range rifle stocked in a Manners Ultra-light. Definitely a robust, heavy scope that may not "feel right" on lighter hunting rifles.

I eventually sold that NXS on my mid-range rig and replaced it with a Vortex PST. Turrets were positive and rock solid. Glass was very clear, but I felt the PST darkened a little quicker at dusk than the LeupoldVX-III or the Sightron SIII. I am currently using the Sightron SIII and am pleasantly surprised at how well it does. Great glass with reliable, repeatable turrets.

For years, I was a die-hard Leupold fan. All my rifles wore them. Then I had a problem with one of my VX-III LR models. I would dial up for a long range shot and then return the turret to zero. Unfortunately, my actual zero, or point of impact would never quite return to zero. I sent the scope back not once, but twice, to have the problem fixed. I wasted nearly 100 rounds and a lot of barrel life before I finally determined it was the scope. Leupold always honored their lifetime warranty and their customer service was great, but the whole idea behind a quality scope with a lifetime warranty is never having to actually use it. Others continue to use Leupold with great success, but for me, I have moved on - and never looked back. You can't go wrong with any of the scopes mentioned above.

I have the nightforce NXS 5.5x22 with zero stop on my 338 edge.Never had any issues, always dials back to zero, great optics out to as far as you can shoot (1500 yrds +). If your rifle can handle it (weight wise ) nightforce is the way to go.Cost is up there but you get what you pay for. My rifle is 13.5 lbs. with scope and bi-pod.