Sign in to follow this  
dchamsr06

What a toad.

Great buck! And great shot! Don't worry about the people that are putting you down for your shot. They weren't there and don't know exactly what happend. People have lost animals on perfectly broadside animals also. It just happens, and will continue to happen. This is the kind of stuff that keeps people from posting some great animals on these hunting sights, it's sad. Everyone has there right to there opinion but bashing people is just un called for! It irritates the crap out of me! Oh yeah and the arrow in the deer doesn't bother me one bit!

Congrats and thanks for posting! Funny I was just looking at the deer and didnt see the arrow until the crying started.

Congratulations on a great buck! Especially with archery equipment!

Just because it was a successful kill does not mean it’s a good shot to take and brag about. Even under perfect conditions the margin for error is too high for it to be an ethical shot.

You have an area the size of a baseball you have to hit. Anything outside of that and you’ll have a wounded deer on your hands. There are a million reasons out of our control that would take that arrow out of that baseball sized hole: a rogue breeze, a buck jumping the string, a bird squawking and scaring him. Also, there is no exit wound with a frontal shot, making it very hard to track the animal.

Alot of us can hit a target the size of a baseball. I know I can every time at 60 yards. Frontal shots are perfectly ethical. The kill zone is a bit bigger than a baseball. Shot my fist bull elk frontal. Hit high just like the pic of his buck. Dead in 40 yards. Dont judge other hunters ethics, it makes us all look bad.

There is no room for mistakes with the frontal shot, where as a broadside or quartering away shot offers a lot more wiggle room and less chance of wounding a buck. They also offer exit wounds for easier trailing. I believe that shot is unethical and should almost always be passed and never bragged about. Have a little self control and wait till he turns for a broadside shot. Good decision making, patience, and self control are just as important as accuracy and precision.

Great buck! And great shot! Don't worry about the people that are putting you down for your shot. They weren't there and don't know exactly what happend. People have lost animals on perfectly broadside animals also. It just happens, and will continue to happen. This is the kind of stuff that keeps people from posting some great animals on these hunting sights, it's sad. Everyone has there right to there opinion but bashing people is just un called for! It irritates the crap out of me! Oh yeah and the arrow in the deer doesn't bother me one bit!

+ 1

My first nice buck, perfect shot, and the arrow ended up in the oppisite shoulder. I was so excited I just forgot to take the arrow out for the pictures.

On shot placement ? who knows what happenend. Maybe he it was planned or maybe the buck turned has he was releasing. At any rate, thats a real nice buck and horse. great picture!

Just because it was a successful kill does not mean it’s a good shot to take and brag about. Even under perfect conditions the margin for error is too high for it to be an ethical shot.

You have an area the size of a baseball you have to hit. Anything outside of that and you’ll have a wounded deer on your hands. There are a million reasons out of our control that would take that arrow out of that baseball sized hole: a rogue breeze, a buck jumping the string, a bird squawking and scaring him. Also, there is no exit wound with a frontal shot, making it very hard to track the animal.

There is no room for mistakes with the frontal shot, where as a broadside or quartering away shot offers a lot more wiggle room and less chance of wounding a buck. They also offer exit wounds for easier trailing. I believe that shot is unethical and should almost always be passed and never bragged about. Have a little self control and wait till he turns for a broadside shot. Good decision making, patience, and self control are just as important as accuracy and precision.

This sounds just like a comment I would have made before I'd ever killed an desert deer with my bow. Lots of ethics (excuses), no successes, but that was just me. Now that I've killed a few of them, I leave the ethics calls to the guy with the tag taking the shot.

Congrats on a great muley! I've got a deer on the wall from a similar shot angle. Way to get it done.

Just because it was a successful kill does not mean its a good shot to take and brag about. Even under perfect conditions the margin for error is too high for it to be an ethical shot.

You have an area the size of a baseball you have to hit. Anything outside of that and youll have a wounded deer on your hands. There are a million reasons out of our control that would take that arrow out of that baseball sized hole: a rogue breeze, a buck jumping the string, a bird squawking and scaring him. Also, there is no exit wound with a frontal shot, making it very hard to track the animal.

This sounds just like a comment I would have made before I'd ever killed an desert deer with my bow. Lots of ethics (excuses), no successes, but that was just me. Now that I've killed a few of them, I leave the ethics calls to the guy with the tag taking the shot.

Congrats on a great muley! I've got a deer on the wall from a similar shot angle. Way to get it done.

The deer I just shot in January was actually a similar shot angle (archery desert buck down) when I grunted at him to stop in my lane he stopped broadside then quartered to me, I took the shot and don't regret it one bit. These desert deer are hard to come by you have to take what's given to you. I've lost one deer in my life and when I shot him he was perfectly broadside and I thought I pinwheeled him at 34 yards. Go figure.

Just because it was a successful kill does not mean its a good shot to take and brag about. Even under perfect conditions the margin for error is too high for it to be an ethical shot.

You have an area the size of a baseball you have to hit. Anything outside of that and youll have a wounded deer on your hands. There are a million reasons out of our control that would take that arrow out of that baseball sized hole: a rogue breeze, a buck jumping the string, a bird squawking and scaring him. Also, there is no exit wound with a frontal shot, making it very hard to track the animal.

The deer I just shot in January was actually a similar shot angle (archery desert buck down) when I grunted at him to stop in my lane he stopped broadside then quartered to me, I took the shot and don't regret it one bit. These desert deer are hard to come by you have to take what's given to you. I've lost one deer in my life and when I shot him he was perfectly broadside and I thought I pinwheeled him at 34 yards. Go figure.

That's me too. The deer I shot at 50, on the wall. The one I shot at 80, on the wall. The little button buck I pegged at 32 yards (broadside), jumped the string, took it in the guts & died out in the desert some where. Nothing is certain in bowhunting, but luck definetely favors the persistent, not the picky. Again, just my .02.

• Like 1

Great archery buck. There are guys out there that could hit a baseball sized target at a long ways every time. With the bows out there now that is a big kill zone. I would like to know if it was shot off the back of the horse. That would be cool.