Apache7mm

San Carlos Lake re-opened

I wonder what the lake looks like right now? I assume it is chocolate like with a lot of foating debris from all the recent runoff.

Water is fairly brown from run off, lake is in decent condition considering where it started, gates are open @ the dam tho, no re-stocking.

DAN

Man, after seeing the die-off from last summer, are there any fish left?

My exact thought as well and how much water is left? What is the purpose of opening the gates if it needs to fill back up? Would it be for irrigation down stream? Just curious! I hope it bounces back in my time. :)

TJ

When the water was still @ extreme low levels we did some quick shocking and there were plenty of Flathead catfish, Channel catfish, Shad, and Carp, No Bass or Crappie were shocked during this limited presence/absence type shocking.

The dept plans on doing a more in depth shocking survey sometimes this week.

DAN

Thanks for the update Dan. Please keep us updated, many of us are very interested in San Carlos.

+ 1

TJ

That's a great shot of the lake Dan. It has more water than I expected. Thanks! :)

TJ

• Like 1

It'll come back if the water levels will allow it and not do what it did last year every couple years. Bass and crappie should be back good in 4-5 years if and only if water levels stay healthy. Going to miss my lake for a while :(.

Brian

With last years fire in the Gila Wilderness and with the Wallow fire all we need is a few good winters of snow pack and it should shed water well between the Frisco and the Gila. Sure would be nice to see the tamaracks out of that corridor too which would surely help I would think.