Sign in to follow this  
az300wby

Anyone have a Cooper rifle in 6.5x284? Looking for best grouping ammo

I have a model 52 Cooper in 6.5x284. Looking to see who has a cooper and what shots best.

Ammo

Nolser Trophy grade?

HSM 140 berger?

Double Tap 140 accubonds?

Gunwerks 140 berger?

Reloading recipe?

Any help would be great thx.

Nice Rifle! What did your wife say when you had to re-finance the house to get one:) When I suggested it I got the nastiest look ever, and not a good nasty:)

What scope did you put on it?

Adam

I feel your pain. THe wife does not understand my obsession with hunting. I have been saving for awhile for this setup so i could do it right..

I just got my savage dialed at 100 with Nosler trophy grade Accubond 130s. Seems to like that better than the HSM 142 Sierra.

I am going to be loading the 140 Bergers in the not too distant future, but I'm doing development for 3 other guns at the moment well. Finally got serious about loading and a weekend with nothing but time.

I don't think you have to get hung up on what load works best with the cooper. Just troll around for what 6.5 loads are working for lots of folks and develop a load based on it.

A load I picked up somewhere had the following: lapua brass, fed 210m primer, 4831sc at 53 grains, and a berger 140 vld hunting. At least that's what I wrote in my notebook. So drop 10% and start from there is the plan I'm goin with. I need to see how it compares to the berger book too.

My Savage is shooting .2's consistently with the following ingredients

Norma brass

Federal 210 primer

46.0g H4350

140 AMAX

.030 off the lands

I have several other loads that shot .4 and .5 too.

Very nice rifle! What does that model run for these days?

Thx for everyones advice. I cant wait to get it up and running.

Checked berger book and it shows max charge of 51 grains with the 140 and 4831sc. Should of sent this while I was looking, because I can't remember what 90% full it was.

Got them loaded up to 51 today, going to load one bullet in half grain up to 53. See what pressure signs show up if any.

I only have a pound of RL22, so im waiting to test it. Do you notice any temp sensitivity with it?

I just worked up a load today using reloader 17 just to try it and it worked really really good. 49.0 grains was shooting one hole groups with 140 amax at 100. Smallest group measured .186 and the biggest measured .214. These were 5 shot groups.

I did a test a few months ago with R22 in the 6.5x284. 10 degrees to 110 degrees F. With no change in accuracy and 25 FPS difference. Not near as much as many say. Winchester primers.

52.5 works well with the 140 Amax/VLD.

50-53 depending on rifle tolerances of 4831SC is as good as it gets. Single digit ES with rem 9-1/2 primers. 2950 FPS. Accurate as he!!.

46-47 H4350/fed 210 match primers. Single digit ES at 2950 FPS very accurate.

59 retumbo over 215 match 3100 FPS. Decent accuracy.

48-50 R17 BR2 primers 3100+ good accuracy but narrow accuracy nodes.