Sign in to follow this  
Coues Sniper

Video of my Double Beam Buck

Just wanted to post a quick video of the buck I killed this year with Colburn and Scott Outfitters in MX this year. My father and I had a great hunt with Jay and Darr. Those guys are serious about hunting Coues and their preparation was impressive. This was definitely not the last time Pops and I will be booking with those guys. At any rate, on the last day I glassed this buck up and called Jay over to take a look at it with me. I knew he wasn't a monster, but after some gentle prodding from Jay I decided to take him. He was the 2nd double beamed buck I had seen in as many days and that combined with his character was more than I could take. Jay stayed to keep and eye on him, and I looped around to get within range as we were at 1100 yards. I admittedly was a little nervous about the shot as Jay had kept saying how he was "looking forward to seeing The Coues Sniper in action" :rolleyes: . But I was able to find a perfect setup at 465 yards - prone, no wind, in a saddle between two bluffs, and a flat rock in front of me to pre-load the bipod. The buck was bedded with his head over his vitals so I took my time and was able imput my actual atmoshperics and even dry fire a few times. Jay and I were talking on the radio when the buck got up, that's when the video starts. I waited for him to stop and let the crosshairs settle right on his shoulder and timed my squeeze with the exhale on my breathing cycle. I was shooting my 300 ultra pushing 208 grain A-Max's at 3180 fps. The result was pretty devastating. Impact was exactly where I aimed and it was like you hit him with a sledgehammer. When we got to the buck, his legs were folded underneath him just like he was bedded or you posed him for photographs. Exit hole was about the size of a silver dollar. I was very happy both with the deer, and the performance of the A-max's. Thanks again to Jay, Darr, and Janis. One of my favorite hunts, and bucks, for sure!

IMG_4563_zps8fb99606.jpg

Ya buddy!!!

Didnt know PAULY-D hunted... Great buck!!!
hahaha! Afterwards, Jay and I celebrated with some GTL ;)

Not bad shooting for a jersey boy
Thanks Larry. Living up here is definitely going to cramp my Longrange style. Have to drive 3+ hours to shoot past 300 yards!!

Awesome!! I have been looking forward to the story and now it even comes with video, excellent! Congratulations on a great buck!

Was that a high shoulder shot? Love when they drop and never move again....

Awesome!! I have been looking forward to the story and now it even comes with video, excellent! Congratulations on a great buck!

Thanks Amanda. No, it wasn't a high shoulder shot. I was above him so I put it mid height on the shoulder to me, and it exited 1/3 up on opposite side. We did the gutless method so I didn't look at the vitals, but the shockwave and bloodshot was pretty amazing. Both shoulders were toast, as was very front of backstrap on side to me.

Thanks Amanda. No, it wasn't a high shoulder shot. I was above him so I put it mid height on the shoulder to me, and it exited 1/3 up on opposite side. We did the gutless method so I didn't look at the vitals, but the shockwave and bloodshot was pretty amazing. Both shoulders were toast, as was very front of backstrap on side to me.

cool.....I shot a buck once in Mexico and it dropped just like that and never moved....it was so awesome, I wish I had gotten it on video. The camera guy was on his way, but didn't get there in time. Mine was high shoulder and the way yours dropped reminded me of that shot.

Congratulations on a beauty. :)

TJ