Sign in to follow this  
PackerMenges

Rings & Base ?'s,

Alright friends, I want all the advice and input you are willing to share here on the questions that follow...

I have a vortex viper pst blah blah to be mounted on a Model 70 300rum, what rings and bases should I utilize? How are the vortex rings? The scope has a 30mm tube.

I also have a nikon monarch blah blah to be mounted on a Model 70 7wsm, same question.

Heard lots of good things about leupy dovetails, what do you say? Reasons, details, and links all help me and I truly do appreciate the input.

Happy hunting,

Mark

I personally think leupolds are good, but in the last 5-6 years have stayed away from them and gone to warne, talley, and seekins rings. I would also think about a 20 moa rail for that caliber. Anyways just my opinion.

If your near QC and need help installing them, pm me, lots of little things you can do to improve the set up.

Like Vowell recommended, go with a 20 MOA rail. From what I understand, the vortex rings are made by seeking. Warne,Talley, Night Force, Seekins and badger ordinance make great rings.

I use a Nightforce 20MOA Base with Burris Signature Rings. They have the inserts to prevent damage to the scope. They also have offset inserts if your scope isn't "centered" when your right/left adjustment is near "centered".

I am not impressed with Vortex rings one bit. Cheaply made. I have leupold mark 4 rings and bases and that is what I will use from now on.

Evolution Gunworks Rings and bases is my pet brand, but nightforce, seekins, Leupy MK 4, Badger, etc. are all awesome

I have an EGW 15 MOA base and Warne Rings on my PST. NO complaints. The Warns are rock solid and when used with a picitinny style base automatically center the scope laterally on the base due to the vertical split design. They are however, almost impossible to lap if you intend to do that. Most say it is not needed with the Warnes.

If you get the Warnes, do yourself a favor and get the Warne torque wrench to install them. I tightened them down too much one time and tweeked the scope a little. Vortex fixed with no questions asked.

I prefer either seekins or nightforce 20 MOA bases. I will only use 1 piece bases bedded to the action. I prefer nightforce UL rings for all my scopes. Lapped of course. Don't underestimate the importance of bedding (where needed) lapping, proper torque.

Thanks, everyone! Vowell I may be in touch if I get that way some time. I will let everyone know what the final set ups look like. Thanks again, truly appreciate the input.

Burris signature zee rings are the way to go. They come with plastic inserts that secure and center the scope evenly so there is no need to lap. They also make additional inserts that can adjust the cant of the scope up to 40 moa much like a canted base but much cheaper around 8 bucks instead of 40 for the base.

Edit to add that they make dovetail as well as weaver style rings.

I have the same set up and use a 30 MOA nightforce rail and medium light weight nightforce rings. Call red hawk rifles in Colorado, great prices!