Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Stray Cats

Mesa animal control will not pick up cats unless they bit someone or they are injured. The county will not pick up cats unless they bit someone. If you take a cat to the County shelter, you will be charged $96 to turn it in. Some good ideas posted above...

Guest akaspecials

They are all over my neighborhood in Tempe because the crazy old ladies feed them. I tried anti pet-sprays, high power pellet guns, cayenne pepper, and god only knows how many other things. Every time I killed one another one just took it's place. Only thing that ended up working was spraying them with water from a high power super soaker. They are still around but avoid my yard like the plague.

I am generally not a fan of cats (or any free loading pet) especially stray cats, however I once watched a dog -not mine just a stray- die from antifreeze poisoning. It was the most brutal, long suffering thing to witness. I think every critter, domestic or wild deserves a humane or quick death.

Gamo makes a nice whisper pellet gun. A little more quiet than the cheap crossmans and perfect for scaring off unwanted pests.. 'Sides everyone needs a good pellet gun.

• Like 3

I understood the new antifreeze was not poison anymore....seems I heard this maybe 5 years ago. Due to people usually drain it down the curb and pets drink it. Anyone know for sure?

I have the same problems with strays in east Mesa. The guy behind me feeds them. They nest in his shed. They kill our birds, poop in my garden, etc... mostly at night, so it's hard to get them in your sights. I'm thinking a trap-line may be the answer. Just have to make trips to the desert a couple times a week to feed the coyotes.

• Like 1

I understood the new antifreeze was not poison anymore....seems I heard this maybe 5 years ago. Due to people usually drain it down the curb and pets drink it. Anyone know for sure?

I have the same problems with strays in east Mesa. The guy behind me feeds them. They nest in his shed. They kill our birds, poop in my garden, etc... mostly at night, so it's hard to get them in your sights. I'm thinking a trap-line may be the answer. Just have to make trips to the desert a couple times a week to feed the coyotes.

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms..."

The Outlaw, Josy Wales.

There are two types of antifreeze, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. The later is used in the food industry in chilled water cooling systems and in maybe one type of auto antifreeze (Sierra?) and is non-toxic. Pretty much everything is ethylene glycol and is toxic.

One way to catch a cat. Get your strongest fishing rod, real and strongest fishing line and tie on a large rubber lizzard with a huge hook (weedless of course) and cast it down the street. Let them take it a little and then set the hook and hold on.

FYI, you might want to horse them in since the cops will be there shortly. Plus wear your best shirt since you might make the news.

• Like 3

I used the antifreeze tuna trap . It worked good until and had a discusting smell come from the inside my pontoon .

Lol, yeah, there are "side effects" to this method, but I bet it took care of your "problem"...

I like the cat trap and a pool or the garbage can full of water works if you don't have a pool! I've heard of people stringing up big hooks with a piece of meat from tree branches just high enough for them to jump up and bite. I was told you should wake up to several swinging cats depending on how many hooks you set!

I can't stand cats, I don't even know why people still pay for them there's a million running around the city that no one seems to claim or care anything about.

I've got to tell you Guys that I'm a cat lover and highly offended by many of the comments.

I have a cat that I've had for 14 years now. I can leave the door open and she never runs out. There is no smell from the litterbox and feeding her and giving her no water at all isn't any problem. She just lays on the couch or the foot of the bed and never gets underfoot. She doesn't scratch up the furniture either. Yep, taking her to the taxidermist was one of the best moves I've ever made.

EBB

• Like 4

I've got to tell you Guys that I'm a cat lover and highly offended by many of the comments.I have a cat that I've had for 14 years now. I can leave the door open and she never runs out. There is no smell from the litterbox and feeding her and giving her no water at all isn't any problem. She just lays on the couch or the foot of the bed and never gets underfoot. She doesn't scratch up the furniture either. Yep, taking her to the taxidermist was one of the best moves I've ever made.EBB

You Sir have won. This is awesome, I bow to your superior wit.

I've got to tell you Guys that I'm a cat lover and highly offended by many of the comments.I have a cat that I've had for 14 years now. I can leave the door open and she never runs out. There is no smell from the litterbox and feeding her and giving her no water at all isn't any problem. She just lays on the couch or the foot of the bed and never gets underfoot. She doesn't scratch up the furniture either. Yep, taking her to the taxidermist was one of the best moves I've ever made.EBB

You Sir have won. This is awesome, I bow to your superior wit.

he really had me feeling bad since he posted right after me. I was reading through thinking OMG i hope this guy never runs into me in the woods and then I got to the end and almost lost it. Very nice EBB