Sign in to follow this  
plang00

Once in a lifetime?

Given the declining numbers and trophy quality, does anyone else agree that antelope in AZ should become a "once in a lifetime trophy" like sheep?

If you look at the numbers it is almost as tough to get a lope tag as a sheep tag. I think they just need to do away with the archery hunts and muzzy hunts and have one hunt, use what you want. I don't think it should be once in a lifetime, just stop shooting so many of them. I think they have more tags in 21 than they do antelope. i spent some time in 18a and 10 for the coyote shoot a few weeks ago and the lope numbers I saw were pathetic.

IMO The antelope herds are the poorest managed herds in the state, slightly behind mule deer.

Compound that with habitat loss and lack of access to state lands. We might as well get to hunt them as much as possible while we can.

In order to increase the antelope herds there needs to be several things done. The main problems are fences, habitat loss, and predation. With the limited habitat antelope we have in the state to begin with we as hunters and stewards of the land need to do a better job of preserving it and making more suitable for the animals that live there. We need to do a better job of modifying fences to allow antelope permeability across them; stop building houses and roads in small isolated patches of habitat; let fires burn to increase forage production and slow down juniper encroachment. If all these things were being done we could have the same number of tags AND have an increasing population of antelope. Until then we can only do the best we can with what we are given. just my opinion.

I think we can all agree wildlife as a hole are poorly managed. Our wildlife is managed for the wrong reasons, $$ instead of quality or health of the herd. It is not the problem of the game wardens, as they try their best to manage for the right reasons, but the guys and gals above them who haven't seen the field in God only knows how long think they know more about what the boots on the ground see and hear all the time.

• Like 1

I think we can all agree wildlife as a hole are poorly managed. Our wildlife is managed for the wrong reasons, $$ instead of quality or health of the herd. It is not the problem of the game wardens, as they try their best to manage for the right reasons, but the guys and gals above them who haven't seen the field in God only knows how long think they know more about what the boots on the ground see and hear all the time.

It's "whole" and not "hole", Casey.

Just a pet peeve of mine, you know. ;)

• Like 2

The w on my keyboard is like a female... Only works when it wants to (I am on a different computer right now :D )

There are a ton of reasons why Pronghorn are struggling in our state but I think habitat loss due to things like Juniper encroachment is huge.

Antelope evade predators through sight and speed. What were once open grasslands are now dotted with trees that give predators like a mountain lion something to hide behind.

Coyotes following pregnant does waiting for them to drop fawns doesn't help either...

In order to increase the antelope herds there needs to be several things done. The main problems are fences, habitat loss, and predation. With the limited habitat antelope we have in the state to begin with we as hunters and stewards of the land need to do a better job of preserving it and making more suitable for the animals that live there. We need to do a better job of modifying fences to allow antelope permeability across them; stop building houses and roads in small isolated patches of habitat; let fires burn to increase forage production and slow down juniper encroachment. If all these things were being done we could have the same number of tags AND have an increasing population of antelope. Until then we can only do the best we can with what we are given. just my opinion.

Good post.

I think the predation issue is finally heading in the right direction with the night hunting in certain units, 4A, 10...etc, but still have a ways to go. Unfortunately, almost 20 years of drought conditions has completely changed the range conditions. Especially along the I-40 corridor. There is very little cover anymore with grasses only a few inches tall when the fawns drop. Drought, which is normal here in the southwest, is something we can't fix. Fortunately, a few average years is making a difference in the range conditions and some of it is looking better than it has the past 10 years. However, it only take one extreme dry year and we're back to square one. Abundant rain will fix a lot of issues here. But in the southwest, drought is the norm and a few wet years are an anomaly.

So, we have to address the things you mentioned. Fences and predators. Fenced right of ways, I-40 for example, presents the major factor in antelope movements. Man made crossings cost money. So what's the answer?

I think the predator issue is the easiest to address. But that relies on hunter participation.

The w on my keyboard is like a female... Only works when it wants to (I am on a different computer right now :D )

Good try, Casey. BUT...the following was posted only minutes before; appears there was no problem with the "w." :rolleyes:

Yesterday, 12:51 PM

Mr. O'Connor had fine taste in rifles. When he started getting of social status, his rifles were very contemporary, and of high end design/manufacture. I do believe he would have something like a Kimber Montana, but more then likely he would have a NULA in 280AI, or something in 270wsm built on a CRD action.

Oh, and it's "more THAN likely," not "more then likely."

Just another pet peeve of mine, you know. ;)

• Like 1

Alright Tony, you get me, I'm illiterate. I bow to your incredible intelligence.

Aww Casey, please don't pout. It will bring me to tears. :(

In the meantime, consider these adages before you unleash your almost intelligence on another CWT member in the future over a minor spelling error or word misuse:

• People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
  • Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
  • A fool’s tongue is long enough to cut his own throat.
  • The pot calling the kettle black.
  • What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
  • Never venture out of your depth till you can swim.
  • Better to do nothing than to do ill.
  • Do unto others as you would others should do to you.
  • Deep rivers move in silence, shallow brooks are noisy
  • He that knows nothing, knows enough if he knows how to be silent.
  • No man learneth but by pain or shame.
  • It is bitter fare to eat one’s own words.
  • A fool cannot be silent.
  • A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
  • Affectation of wisdom often prevents us from becoming wise.
  • Like 1

<p>

Alright Tony, you get me, I'm illiterate. I bow to your incredible intelligence.

Aww Casey, please don't pout. It will bring me to tears. :(

In the meantime, consider these adages before you unleash your almost intelligence on another CWT member in the future over a minor spelling error or word misuse:

• People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

• A fools tongue is long enough to cut his own throat.

• The pot calling the kettle black.

• What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Never venture out of your depth till you can swim.

• Better to do nothing than to do ill.

• Do unto others as you would others should do to you.

• Deep rivers move in silence, shallow brooks are noisy

• He that knows nothing, knows enough if he knows how to be silent.

• No man learneth but by pain or shame.

• It is bitter fare to eat ones own words.

• A fool cannot be silent.

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Affectation of wisdom often prevents us from becoming wise.
Love it!