Sign in to follow this  
More D

Shore fishing in Rocky Point for the first time....need help!

I only like fishing because I can have a few beers while I am doing itotherwise I am horrible at it. My wife on the other hand loves to fish! She hunts with me so I fish with her as long as I can do it one handed! We are headed to rocky point for the weekend and she would like to try fishing from the shore for the first time. She has a pretty decent rods but I have no clue what set up, bait, lure, etc to use.

Please help!

More D

a five pound box of frozen squid will do wonders on the cochi and rock bass. take lots of hooks and sinkers. we once run into a couple tucson boys headed down to lobos with about a hunnerd pounds of whole frozen and very shot up jackrabbits for bait in an old chest freezer in the back of their 67 ford shortbed.

frozen anchovies work too.

recycle:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/32551-rocky-point/?hl=spook&do=findComment&comment=307357

+1 on the frozen squid, you can buy it at the fish market downtown cheap. But when you catch you fish, put them in a cooler with ice. If you lay them in the shallow water on a stringer, they will be infested with sand fleas. Also any shiny lure like a cast master will work for rock bass and trigger fish.

Plus get a can of wd40 and give your bait a squirt you'll get 2 times as many bites I found squid/octopus works great if fishing from shore hi tide is best and hold you rod cause you will miss lots of hits if not

Man sounds like, take some pictures for us land locked guys. I didn't know there were Sea Trout there, man they along with puffer fish are awesome table fare and Trigger fish make some pretty good fish taco's and are good breaded and deep fried.

I only like fishing because I can have a few beers while I am doing itotherwise I am horrible at it. My wife on the other hand loves to fish! She hunts with me so I fish with her as long as I can do it one handed! We are headed to rocky point for the weekend and she would like to try fishing from the shore for the first time. She has a pretty decent rods but I have no clue what set up, bait, lure, etc to use. Please help! More D

Well, how did you do? I'm going for a week in may and want to try shore fishing also.

DT

We just got back a few hours ago..we had a great time but did not do any fishing yet. No time to set anything up because we left the very next morning. We are heading back down for fathers day so I will have plenty of time to set up. Thanks for all the tips.....I will try them all and take pics too!

More D

No Fishing? I thought the only thing to do there was fish, drink beer and take siesta's. LOL Glad to see you had a safe trip.

go to choya bay and ask the guards where big wave daves tackle shop is go buy some jig heads and squid skerts in the evening or early morning go to pinto or pelican point or near the port or down by the wreck and throw it out and retrive it dont jig it just reel it the seatrout will love it so will the cabrilla also you can throw crank baits i go down there all the time to fish so if you have any questions just message me i can answer most of your questions.im very good at fishing especially down there my great grandpa has been going down there since the 1940's.

if you fish off shore than yes and im not sure where to get one in rockypoint I get mine in chollabay during the cbsc fishing tournamrnt

last weekend the sea trout where running pretty good. 1 oz. castmasters proved to be deadly. Reel your line in fast and if you think you are really too fast, you probably are not. With the 1 oz. lures, you need to real fast to avoid the rocks and the trout/rock bass love it. Last year, we caught a few real nice flounders as well. Look for sandy bottoms and let the jighead with a quid or lure sink to the bottom, then reel at about a medium pace and get ready for some mighty fine eating.

last weekend the sea trout where running pretty good. 1 oz. castmasters proved to be deadly. Reel your line in fast and if you think you are really too fast, you probably are not. With the 1 oz. lures, you need to real fast to avoid the rocks and the trout/rock bass love it. Last year, we caught a few real nice flounders as well. Look for sandy bottoms and let the jighead with a quid or lure sink to the bottom, then reel at about a medium pace and get ready for some mighty fine eating.

+1 on the Kastmasters! Used to knock em' dead wading/fishing off of the beach at Los Conchas when I would take the kids down for spring break.... Lots of fun, just watch-out for the Stingrays! ;)

S.

:)