Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

wanna start a spittin' war......

.....but not a shootin' war.....

loudmouth sales clerk at the new CAL Ranch(spell that 'overpriced') store in show low tried to lecture me this morning and ... well..... i hope he's terminated by now but that is probably just wishful thinking...

anyway off with the gloves-i can take the hits how 'bout u?-cuz i'm still cranky about this morning.

THE most overrated caliber ever in the last three centuries has got to be the 7mm/08. what a waste of powder, primer and proof steel. and its little sister the .243 winchester is right behind. key word being overrated. kinda like the yanks on safari who thought the 22 savage high power at 4000fps was lethal enough for lion in the 1920's.

i'm just SURE! none of the highly evolved and experienced shootist's on a top flight board like CWT would disagree.....

lee

Insanity runs in the family-it practically gallups!

I'm not even sure what you are talking about? Overrated in relation to lion hunting? Elk hunting? Youth hunts? I think both of those calibers have a home depending on what they are going to be used for. I think a .300 ultra is a bigger waste of resources.

I think most calibers have their lovers and their haters. I don't happen to mind the 7-08 at all. There are a lot of nice choices in the .284/7mm caliber for bullets, and that case is great for the younger/smaller hunters. Can't do anything with it you can't do with a .308, but it does shoot a little flatter with less recoil for the less experienced shooter.

The .243 ... never had the desire to own one. But that doesn't mean somebody doesn't love it.

And yes ... I own a .300 Ultra ... its a novelty, and I love me some novelty ... especially when it shoots REALLY FLAT.

• Like 1

CAL Ranch Store is Awesome! Great prices on a lot of their stuff!!!! 2 thumbs up for them!!!

As far as the employees on Saturday at the gun counter and through out the store, nice folks! Must of been the free hat they gave me!!! I will stop by every time I'm up north.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand the hating on this one either? I have a Tikka t3 7-08 for my wife and, soon to be of hunting age, son. I couldn't be happier with it. It is a great elk and deer rifle for them that isn't so big that they will be afraid to shoot it. It also offers a lot of variety in bullet choice.

• Like 1

Big lake- i have a couple of .243s that look good, and i have a couple others that shoot REAL GOOD. Bring whatever you have that is better than a .243 along with some money . GRIN. roninflag

• Like 1

I researched awhile before settling on a 7-08 for my 11 yr old son. Light recoil to teach him proper shooting techniques. In 3 yrs he killed 3 bulls and 3 javelina. Don't understand why people don't like this caliber. Maybe wanting the cartridge to do something it's not meant for..?

• Like 1

I researched awhile before settling on a 7-08 for my 11 yr old son. Light recoil to teach him proper shooting techniques. In 3 yrs he killed 3 bulls and 3 javelina. Don't understand why people don't like this caliber. Maybe wanting the cartridge to do something it's not meant for..?

+1 bought a 7-08 for my kids. Love it! My daughter killed a bull in NM on her first elk hunt. Dropped the bull at 120yrds. Long range gun no but an excellent gun to start kids on.

Just getting ready to buy a 7mm-08 for my young Son who drew elk this year as well. I like the caliber and recoil that is manageable for a youth. As mentioned above it's a great youth round!

• Like 1

All about bullet placement. Anything will die when hit in the correct spot, dont matter the round.