Sign in to follow this  
TOBY

Swhackers for bull elk? Updated testing..

Two years ago I shot a cow at 13yrds and it ran 20yrds and pumped blood out like it was pouring from a faucet and died within 5 minutes. This last year I double lunged a cow up high and it ran about 400 yrds with only 3 drops of blood. I couldn't figure out her trail and lost the meat after a good friend found it the next day. It bled inside and no blood on the ground. I'm done with swhackers altogether. I swore I would never use a mechanical ever on big game but just had to try out these swhackers. I don't like the idea they fold up and pull out if not a pass thru. Keep with fixed blades on big game and you won't have to worry about a mechanical not performing to it's fullest. Just my opinion!

TJ

I should have also said I didn't blame loosing my elk do to the swacker. I could have made a much better shot and should have. The out come would probably been exactly the same with a fixed blade. After beeing in maintenance most of my life I know if there is any moving part on something sooner or later it will fail. I will continue to use mechanicals on turkeys.

I've seen alot of good videos on the swhacker so if you're having good luck with them then why change if it works for you. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Ive shot animals with rages, slick tricks, inverters( extremely similar to the shwackers), SHWACKERS, muzzies, and rocky mountain gators. I've helped track countless animals shot with an assortment of other heads shot by other people too. I have come to the conclusion that shot placement is far more important than the head that you choose. With your setup, a shwacker will work just fine. It will work beyond just fine. Its a great head for BROADSIDE shots. Most mechanicals are underated by most and overrated by some. As long as the blades are strong enough to withstand the impact of elk bones( shwackers have been proven to be) and you've got enough arrow weight/speed combination a.k.a momentum or kinetic energy depending on what "expert" you're talking to, then a mechanical is a fine choice. I would suggest a 1.5" shwacker for elk rather than a 2" to ensure penetration but that's just my personal opinion. I shot my one and only bull elk with a razor trick thru the heart and only found one drop of blood in the 120 yard tracking job because the shoulder cartilage sealed up the hole. Would I use a razor trick again? You bet ya. Would I use a shwacker or any other well built mechanical? You bet ya. Would I use a flimsy bladed rage on an elk? Not unless I was shooting an elk without a ribcage. -creed

• Like 4

Would I use a flimsy bladed rage on an elk? Not unless I was shooting an elk without a ribcage. -creed

I bought some rage broad heads and after shooting them in my target the blades fell apart and I took them back. I have to agree with you on not using them for elk.

TJ

Ive shot animals with rages, slick tricks, inverters( extremely similar to the shwackers), SHWACKERS, muzzies, and rocky mountain gators. I've helped track countless animals shot with an assortment of other heads shot by other people too. I have come to the conclusion that shot placement is far more important than the head that you choose. With your setup, a shwacker will work just fine. It will work beyond just fine. Its a great head for BROADSIDE shots. Most mechanicals are underated by most and overrated by some. As long as the blades are strong enough to withstand the impact of elk bones( shwackers have been proven to be) and you've got enough arrow weight/speed combination a.k.a momentum or kinetic energy depending on what "expert" you're talking to, then a mechanical is a fine choice. I would suggest a 1.5" shwacker for elk rather than a 2" to ensure penetration but that's just my personal opinion. I shot my one and only bull elk with a razor trick thru the heart and only found one drop of blood in the 120 yard tracking job because the shoulder cartilage sealed up the hole. Would I use a razor trick again? You bet ya. Would I use a shwacker or any other well built mechanical? You bet ya. Would I use a flimsy bladed rage on an elk? Not unless I was shooting an elk without a ribcage. -creed

How about the Rage Hypodermic, looks pretty solid for any animal.

I have killed 2 bulls with 100 grain rages, both bulls died within 100 yards of where i shot them. I like rage broad heads but for the price I would rather shoot shwackers.

The price is one of the biggest reasons I don't use rages for deer anymore. Its hard to beat the deal shwacker was giving on their website. 6 heads for 40 bucks. Not sure if they're still selling them for that price. The hypodermics do seem better built...but paying 40 bucks for three heads are a thing of the past for me. Especially when a lot of good fixed blades can still be found under $30. Magnus heads and slick tricks can be found around $25 online if you shop. And magnus offers a warranty that crushes any warranty of any other heads that I'm aware of.

I also like the Swhackers but am considering giving Slick Trick a try. I first tried Swhackers because of their buy one get one free deal. I recently contacted Swhacker to see if they might run that deal again this summer and was told no.

Reasons I like Swhacker are because they fly like my broadheads and seem solid. I have not yet had the opportunity to take any game with them. But, last year while coues hunting with them, I got a shot at a turkey. My shot was high and my arrow went over the turkey into pine needles and dirt. When I found my arrow I discovered that the blades had deployed and bent. Not only did the blades bend but the entire tip bent. This happened on soft mountain soil and pine needles. Not sure what might have happened on a rip cage or shoulder on an angled shot. Still, I haven't thrown them out and will probably give them another try.

The reason I am considering trying Slick Trick is because, as suggested, I am still not 100% convinced of the reliability or durability of mechanical broadheads. I have tried G5 Montecs but could not get groupings I was comfortable with past 30 yards.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies and for keeping it mature.Slicks Tricks are awesome. I have killed deer and pigs both and have not had a failure as well as my wifes pig kills with them. After the the pig kill this year with a swhacker.. Wow. I will still do some beef hide and rib testing with them and a scapula test also. Thx again.

Toby check out this video on youtube might save you some time. They have made a couple different videos on it.

Cole

Cole, great video, that is what sold me. Then when I shot my 250 pound bear last year with my shwacker, it penetrated thru both sides of the rib cage, and the broad head is still in good condition. The bear left a huge blood trail, and any of you bear hunters know, that is unusual. The bear went 200 yds and died in a mine shaft.

• Like 1

I shot the Mule deer pictured in my cover photo with a Swhacker 2" 100 gr. and let me tell yeah it did some damage. The shot was a 32 yard quartering shot and it cut through like a hot knife through butter and the blood trail was MASSIVE!!! The deer only ran 40 yards if that and piled up. When I recovered the deer I noticed it had a old wound that had healed up from a Fixed blade through and through shot in a vital kill zone. I firmly believe that if the hunter that shot this buck the year before had used a Swhacker I wouldn't be waiting for my buck to come back from the taxidermist right now. In the end its all personal preference but I recommend Swhacker!!

• Like 1

Cole, great video, that is what sold me. Then when I shot my 250 pound bear last year with my shwacker, it penetrated thru both sides of the rib cage, and the broad head is still in good condition. The bear left a huge blood trail, and any of you bear hunters know, that is unusual. The bear went 200 yds and died in a mine shaft.

I don't think there is anything "usual" about that story. haha. Sounds like a heck of a hunt....wish I could claim I had killed a bear with a bow! I got a pack of virgin Swhackers. I am hopeing to have blood on them this fall. Having seen the damage they do I will only shoot swhackers.

• Like 1

Muzzy 100grain fixed........they have done DAMAGE on every deer, pig and yote I have ever shot at. This year is my first archery bull hunt and I am considering trying the ulmer's edge, anyone hear anything good or bad about them? Regardless, I will have my Muzzy's ready to go. Good Luck

no please use a good fixed head to much energy loss on the big cut heads.Yes it will work sometimes but why risk it when they make some great fixed heads that shoot with fieldpoints.