prowlerMan

Anyone know what these are?

We took the dogs out to saguaro lake today to go swimming, drove back to cove 4 of butcher jones and were playing with the dogs in the water. After standing in the water for a couple minutes we got out and I noticed these "leech type things" all over my legs ankles and feet. I showed the girlfriend my new friends and that's about the time she started to freak a little noticing they were on her too. We had to pull them off. The area where I'm thinking their head would be was stuck to us like they were trying to suck blood like a leech. They weren't hard to get off and they didn't hurt nor did they draw blood. I've never encountered anything like this before. The only thing I could come up with is that they might be baby leeches? I know I'm probably very wrong and this is probably a dumb question in which I apologize for but what are these!? Here's a picture of a few I picked off me.

post-4451-0-02141300-1369695556_thumb.jpg

post-4451-0-21146700-1369695586_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Planaria. They are flat worms. Very common, very harmless.

Planaria. They are flat worms. Very common, very harmless.

Thank you for the reply. I looked it up after I read your response and that is exactly what they were. A buddy of mine called me after I posted this and said his father was at the lake in a different area last weekend and ended up with a bunch of these on his legs as well. I've been going to saguaro lake since I was a kid and have never encountered these worms before. Wonder if there's just an abundance of them this year or something?

Reactions are: loss of desire to hunt, fish.... I'll take all your hunting and fishing gear off your hands so your not reminded of the days you used to enjoy the sporting life... No need to Thank me, anything for a CWT.com member...

Haha! You'll have to cut my arms and legs off before I'd even consider giving my gear up and even then with today's technologies u would probably still find me out in the woods. As long as I have a pulse ill be out there.

Just trying to help ProwlerMan... Nice Shepard by the way...

Thank you. Didn't find any of these critters on him just us. Guess they like humans!? Since we're on a aquatic creature talk I've been watching a show on discovery channel and they are claiming they have found mermaids! Kinda cool! Starting to think Ariel is real! Lol

Just trying to help ProwlerMan... Nice Shepard by the way...

Thank you. Didn't find any of these critters on him just us. Guess they like humans!? Since we're on a aquatic creature talk I've been watching a show on discovery channel and they are claiming they have found mermaids! Kinda cool! Starting to think Ariel is real! Lol

Not you too. My wife is driving me nuts, first it was bigfoot now its the mermaid thing. I think its time for her to go back to work and quit watching so much tv.

Harmless??? Kind of.

Google swimmers itch or duck itch.

My buddy and his family got infected pretty bad 2 weeks ago at Saguaro.

Flatworm parasitic larvae burrowing into your skin and dying. Itches like crazy for a week. Several cases reported so far at Saguaro.

Stay away from me. you got worms!

You make it sound so bad. I once heard of a guy that loved fishing so much that he married his wife just because she had worms!

Friend of mine told me they encountered leeches in Arizona. I'll refrain mentioning the location to keep it wilderness, but it was somewhere near Payson not Saguaro. Are there any leeches in Arizona? Or just the flatworms like above? Or anything similar to leeches?

Lots of leaches, I wouldn't wet wade in lower lake Mary that thing is full if them.