Sign in to follow this  
43F

Arizona Cell Phone Coverage

Hey all, just wanted to get some opinions on cell coverage here in AZ because you all are out in the woods too. I've been getting back out into the woods to camp and hunt the past three years and have found my cell service to be horrible. I am usually forced to hunt alone and I'd like to stop doing so without the use of a phone in case of an emergency. I currently have a plan with Sprint, but my contract is up soon. I've either hunted or camped out near the Prescott National Forest or the Apache-Sitgraves National Forest; and have had horrible cell coverage. Does anyone else regularly hunt or camp those areas and get good cell service?

Thanks,

Frank

I have used several companies over the years but Verizon has the best coverage of any I have tried. They have issues too. There is technology out now that allows you to send out a 911 satellite signal without breaking the bank. I hunt alone alot too and am considering looking into something like that.

• Like 1

I would have to say Verizon as well. Lots of gaps though, I wouldn't want my life to depend on them in some of the back country. You might look at something like SPOT like creed suggested.

• Like 1

Verizon has much better coverage than the others but it is getting to the point that I am thinking of changing services because of the price. They keep going up while the others seem to be dropping theirs.

• Like 1

Last year on the strip only guys with Verizon could get a signal in a couple spots. I had AT&T with a booster and never once had a signal until within a few miles of St George.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with everyone. Used many different cell phone providers and Verizon has had the best coverage by far. I am surprised at some of the places I have reception.

• Like 1

My son and I have a been all over N AZ and have Verizon. Our experience is we will have service when no one else in our group does. Yes there are gaps but its not too bad. As others have said, don't bet your life on it and yes they are the most expensive. Sprints service is very spotty as you get out in the wilds but then it is one of the least expensive.

• Like 1

Same experience as everyone else, everyone in our hunting party with Verizon seems to get better coverage than those with AT&T and Sprint.

• Like 1

Have to agree with everyone else. Verizon has the best coverage. AND they know it.

• Like 1

Surprised to have a signal some places with Verizon. Absolutely shocked to have 3G...

Have had AT&T, Virgin and hands down Verizon is best.

Another for Verizon.

I had T-mobile for years, I would drop calls inside my house, at walmart etc. I dropped them and now have Verizon. I have not had one dropped call or any problems at all with them.

Another vote for Verizon. I've had a signal in some surprising places! Good reception on the Rim also. Expensive, but reliable. My brother has AT&T and uses my phone to check in with his family when we're deep off-trail in the desert.