AZcoues_addict

My Archery Lion!

I finally got a shot of a lifetime at a lion with my bow!

I was archery deer hunting (Kaibab) and seeing some nice bucks the past two weeks, but holding out for a big guy due to a late muzzy hunt that I finally drawn. I'd already passed on a smaller 4 point, several small bucks, and had scouted several water sources that looked like they had a number of deer coming into. I really liked the look of a particular tank, so I decided to sit it the next morning.

I got out a little late, so I sat for only about 30 minutes and a doe and fawn had already come in to drink. About 45 minutes later I was day-dreaming when looked over at the water and saw a cat only about 10 yards from it sneaking in slowly! I always carry a lion tag "just in case" but have never had an opportunity or seen a cat this close, so I was immediately excited, very, very excited!

She stopped and looked around twice, at me both times and around the tank, but I held still and the wind was in my face so I waited. She continued and stopped again a second time, but then proceeded to the water. When she bent down to drink, I began to draw thinking of course she would look up and bounce off. When I came to a full draw she was still drinking, and a warm spell came over me and the shakes were gone! I put my pin behind her shoulder and released. I watched and heard the arrow hit her hard, thud! She sprang straight up in the air about 4 feet, landed, and immediately ran down hill the direction she'd come in.

I knew it was a good hit but I couldn't wait but more than 5 minutes I was so excited and shaking again now. I began to sneek to the water and found my arrow completely covered in very thin red blood, it was a comforting and reassuring sight! I slowly backed out and hiked to the truck to get help from some guys back at camp.

By the time we arrived back at the tank it must have been an hour later, and we all began to track the blood trail. It was slim since she was moving so fast, but we finally found her down the hill only 80 yards! I was ecstatic, holding my cat in my own hands in admiration of such a beautiful animal. Everyone congratulated me and we took about 150 pictures! I couldn't believe it, after 12 years of hunting and buying a tag "just in case" I'd finally got a lion, with a bow no less! And I'm still excited just telling the story!

post-918-1159378018.jpg

post-918-1159377887.jpg

:o YOU SHOT SIMBA!!! :unsure:

You must be on cloud nine right now! So how close was the final shot? You said it was about ten yards, but it came in a bit closer then right? Are you planning on getting a mount, or a rug? I really want to get a lion and have it mounted laying down with it's rear leg hanging down just a bit. :lol:

AWESOME! You know at the same time we all say...."good another one gone and not eating our deer".....they are absolutely AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, SKILLED KILLING MACHINES. Congrats!!!

Pretty cool! Nice trophy from the Kaibab.

How was the other hunter pressure/traffic at the tanks you were sitting?

I had a lion walk past the tank I was sitting. About 70 yards away, too far, and it kept going over the dam and down the draw. Briefly though tof getting down and varmint calling, but didn't want to become the hunted.

Congrats again.

Doug~RR

She was only about 10 yards from the water when I saw her first, but the shot was 25 yards, actually at a trick tank. I was sitting on top of it so I was very careful moving around and drawing back! I saw a few good bucks, mostly spot and stalk, but it seemed only the smaller ones were coming to water in daylight hours.

I actually missed a big 5X6 in velvet spot and stalk, arrow deflected off a branch in thick cover, but it was my only shot before the big guy was out of sight so I took it anyway. I was upset all trip until the lion, I totally redeemed myself!

A buddy just called yesterday and said he shot a bobcat on a different tank, was waiting in his stand before recovering the cat, and a small 4 point buck (about 17 in) came in and he shot it too! I couldn't believe it, congratulations to him but I said I'll take the lion over his two anyday!

Awesome! That is why I love to hunt Arizona you just never know what you will see.Congratulations I would take that over a deer any day.