MULEPACKHUNTER

Learning to cape

How did you learn to take care of animals in the field?

I have heard suggestions on learning the fine art of skinning and caping I have a few videos and have seen and used the gutless but does anyone have suggestion on what taxi shops are most open to teaching a guy how to do some butcher work, Trophy prep? I would hate to get scolded by the processor or Taxi.

• Like 1

Mulepackhunter you are welcome anytime at our studio. I will show you anything you want to know on caping and trophy care.

This is also an open invitation to anyone on CouesWhitetail to stop in and see the proper way to cape an animal

Jim

• Like 7

Swwildlife thanks for the open invitation. Class act.

Your taxidermist will likely be glad to show you how (like Jim is). Inquire with your taxi before hunting season and then stop in during a season to watch when stuff is being brought in. Practice on a few deer/elk heads of your hunting buddies that will be used for plaque mounts. Doing a cow elk will help with too, just no antler burrs.

Our door is always open as well at Arizona Wildlife Designs!!!

• Like 2

I'm a taxidermist in the show low area and I would be more than happy to show any one how to cape.Red rabbit is right on. you should practice on some animals that you dont intend to mount.I learned the basics skinning coyotes and fox for the fur trade.I'm sure any taxidermist would be glad to show you how.

• Like 1

Mulepackhunter you are welcome anytime at our studio. I will show you anything you want to know on caping and trophy care.

This is also an open invitation to anyone on CouesWhitetail to stop in and see the proper way to cape an animal

Jim

Take Jim up on his offer! He has always been great with advice and telling me what I could have done better or what he appreciated me taking the time to do in the past. It is also cool to see what they are working on as well!

My only issue now is I have not had any work for him in a few years. :(

I've helped out at a few taxi shops on my own animals to learn any tips or tricks they have. I also try to cut on as many animals as possible wether they are a stranger in the field needing help or a buddy that just doesn't want to. I've practiced on everything from squirrels/rabbits to elk. I've skinned out several cow elk heads that were going to be thrown out just for practice.

I would think any Taxidermists should be more than happy to show his clients how to cape out an animal, like Jim, Devin and the guy in Showlow have said, just come in and get some advice. If you call ahead I might even have something thawed so I can show you how, instead of just trying to explain it. The more our clients are educated, the better specimens we get to work with, and the client receives a better mount with less repair work. If your taxi is not willing to take the time to show you, you might want to start looking for a new taxidermist.

• Like 3

Will, I would like some training on caping.....but can we practice on your bull? I would hate to damage mine!

• Like 1

Here is a picture I found on taxidermy net.It shows the basic cuts to skin down to remove the head.post-6031-0-15449100-1376027018_thumb.jpg