PelaPapas

What Caliber to get??? - Need Suggestions

/>30-06 any brand. The versatility of the bullet grains is great. Ammo is not hard to find you and with a good scope you can reach out and touch accurately pretty far. Not a whole lot of recoil and you can use it for a javelina or elk. Everyone has their preference.

I prefer the Remington but any brand will do. Even a mossberg is good. Its the shooter....not the gun. Good luck to you.

+1

I had the same choice as you a few years ago. My dad gave me his 7 mm Mauser (been in the family awhile), but I was allowed to make it my own as my Christmas present. I kept what I could, including the stock, but I was torn between making it a 270 or a 25-06. I went with the 270, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. My primary objective for my gun was pig and deer. It was a 250 yard heart shot on this big girl. It's a good gun and I'll have it with me on my November WT hunt along with my bow. Means even more to me now that my dad is gone.

Christinaphoto_zps706bb539.jpg

• Like 2

I don't have personal experience with either but if I were in your shoes I would be very tempted to go with this:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LONGRANGEHUNTER

in 6.5 x 284. There are a ton of guys sing the praises of this rifle and even more praising the 6.5x284. I think this combo would meet all your needs (including Elk with the proper bullet selection) without breaking the bank.

It won't be the best looking rifle in camp but from the post and reviews I've read it certainly sounds like they get the job done.

He wants to use factory ammo. That leaves the 6.5 284 pretty much out of the question along with many others are suggesting. .270 or .2506 will be fine and plenty of factory ammo available. 7mm mag would be good to just not needed for pig and deer. wont be shooting long range it sounds so no need for a long range gun and caliber.

He wants to use factory ammo. That leaves the 6.5 284 pretty much out of the question .

Not entirely accurate. There are 11 factory offering for 6.5x284 listed on Midway's site including bullets from from 120 to 156 grains with good bullets from Nosler(accubonds, partition and BT), Berger and norma.

It's not the cheapest but what ammo is these days.

/>

He wants to use factory ammo. That leaves the 6.5 284 pretty much out of the question .

Not entirely accurate. There are 11 factory offering for 6.5x284 listed on Midway's site including bullets from from 120 to 156 grains with good bullets from Nosler(accubonds and BT), Berger and norma.

It's not the cheapest but what ammo is these days.

Cool. Thats good to know. Makes since with the popularity of the caliber

My .270 has killed mule deer, pronghorn, desert bighorn, and bull and cow elk. I think it's the perfect western big game rifle.

Edit: Just went back and read that you are mostly going for WT and Javi. Given that I would not overlook a .243. We're talking critters around 100 lbs. That is plenty of gun for that purpose. No need for a magnum or even a long action rifle.

Nick

My .270 has killed mule deer, pronghorn, desert bighorn, and bull and cow elk. I think it's the perfect western big game rifle.

Edit: Just went back and read that you are mostly going for WT and Javi. Given that I would not overlook a .243. We're talking critters around 100 lbs. That is plenty of gun for that purpose. No need for a magnum or even a long action rifle.

Nick

I'm with Nick on this - a short action gun is fine for your intended quarry and it's comfortable to shoot. And you get the option to move away from a bolt action rifle and into an large caliber AR semi-auto platform (if you're so inclined). I reluctantly made the switch to an LR308 AR repeating rifle almost 10 years ago now and have shot whitetails, pronghorn, mountain lion, coyotes, gray fox, bobcats, prairie dogs, etc. Now I'm hooked - I have several lower receivers with different triggers, grips, & stocks and enough upper assemblies in different calibers to cover any hunting situation including elk (300 Remington SAUM or a .308 shooting 180gr bonded bullets)

Very versatile & accurate and you can build your gun just the way you like it - Lego's for kids over 18. You can get it chambered in 308, 260, 243, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor and a host of other custom things - 308 and 243 being the more common. I never worry about the finish on the gun rain or shine, the wood stock can't get chipped because it doesn't have one, and they're easy to maintain & clean.

Add to list of benefits quick followup shots and the AR is a great multipurpose field gun that's sometimes left out of the conversation.

Just go buy the 25-06 and shoot the same 110-115gr bullets for both animals. It's that simple

• Like 1

The 25/06 is way underrated Imo it can take elk with good shot placement