PelaPapas

What Caliber to get??? - Need Suggestions

Ok here's the deal. My better half has agreed to buy me a new rifle for our anniversary in November. Now that gives me some time to look around for what I want! What caliber should I go with for this rifle? I want a rifle that I can use on both WT & Javelina.

I'm leaning towards .270, 7mm mag, 30-06? Wood or synthetic? I want your guy's opinion on what make/model & what caliber would be good? I would like to see all the best options out there.

Only for wt and javelina? Do you reload or factory ammo? Of your choices i would take .270. I would also take 25-06. No need for a mag or .30 caliber for the two species you listed and it will be more fun to shoot which might get you more range time. I would also look into a .280 remington if you reload.

For the rifle i think they are all fine and get whichever one YOU like and feels good to you. I am getting a tikka for my next rifle.

Only for wt and javelina? Do you reload or factory ammo? Of your choices i would take .270. I would also take 25-06. No need for a mag or .30 caliber for the two species you listed and it will be more fun to shoot which might get you more range time. I would also look into a .280 remington if you reload.

For the rifle i think they are all fine and get whichever one YOU like and feels good to you. I am getting a tikka for my next rifle.

Mainly for WT & Javelina. I would use it on Yotes too. I don't reload, so I would want something in a caliber that is easily available for the most part.

If you must have factory ammo, it's hard to beat a 7mag, 300 win mag, or .270 for western hunting.

I have a tikka t3 light in 25-06 that I love. Shoot the whinchester ballistic tip 115 grain and that's enough for deer. Have never shot a pig with it but you could switch to a lighter grain bullet. It is a smooth gun and love the action. Being as light as it is, it actually packs a bit of a punch. As said before shop around and shoulder all the ones you are concidering and that will narrow it down a bit.

• Like 1

I'm with Average Joe on this one. All the chamberings you mention are great. Of those (if they are your only choices), I would grab a .270. As much as I love my .30-06, I wouldn't use it on javelina unless I dropped way down in bullet weight. There just really isn't much need for the mags or .30s for those two species if they are the only big game you're going to hunt (just my opinion). Like AJ and others have said, I also love my .25-06 and agree that it would be perfect for those two, plus yotes. I've taken 2 south Texas hogs (about the size of a javelina) and big south Texas doe at 22yds with my .25-06 and it was perfect. Also like others have said, find the one that fits you. There are pros and cons to wood and synthetic, but either way, you won't regret it.

• Like 1

7mm or 338 lapua.

Getting alot of feed back on the 25-06. I might have to consider that caliber.

Any specific make/model you guys recommend?