Sign in to follow this  
rookiearcher09

Good meat processor

I have an early hunt up in 4B. A friend recomended Malapai meats up in Taylor. In another thread that i was just reading some folks mentioned that some of the processors will have mobile trucks out and about. Does anyone know the locations of these trucks and the reputation of them? Or does anyone have any other processors they recomend up in the payson/heber/showlow area. I have read about a lot of places ripping people off and i really dont want to get hosed if i am fortunate enough to get a bull down this season. Any advice would be great, thanks!

I don't know about the Payson, Showlow area, but Caseys's in Flagstaff is awesome. They did my bull last year

Last year Miller's had a trailer up in Forest Lakes right on the highway... couldn't miss it. Here is a link to their website that includes their prices as well as dates and places where they will be accepting game during the fall hunting season. http://www.southwesternprocessing.com/wildgame.html

The absolute best processor is you. Save yourself a ton of money, lots of internet information and videos on how to do it. Much easier than most people think. You just need time and a little bit of equipment.

As for a processor other than yourself, Casey's is by far the best I have every used. Also check out the sponsors on this site, I think Miller's is one of the sponsors. Have not used them myself, sorry.

• Like 1

I will say, STAY FAR AWAY FROM FOUR PEAKS!!!! They are by far the WORST processor, WORST customer service I have EVER seen in almost any industry I have ever been involved in. Others may have had different opinions, but I cannot say enough about how horrible they are.

The absolute best processor is you. Save yourself a ton of money, lots of internet information and videos on how to do it. Much easier than most people think. You just need time and a little bit of equipment.

As for a processor other than yourself, Casey's is by far the best I have every used. Also check out the sponsors on this site, I think Miller's is one of the sponsors. Have not used them myself, sorry.

I would love to try and process myself, but i am worried about a few things. One the heat down in the valley and not having adequate freezer/fridge space for an elk, and secondly i would be beyond disappointed in myself if i managed to screw up the meat from an elk especially my first elk and it spoiled or something along those lines. I feel like someday i would like to process my own game but want to take baby steps on something smaller. Perhaps i am wrong, if anyone has any thoughts on DYI'ing it down in the valley i am up for all options!

By the time you pay for the elk processing, you can buy a meat grinder with stuffer attachment, wrapping paper,etc for about 1.5 times the cost of processing. Then it is all money saved and higher quality forever on. Tons of YouTube videos on processing, what cuts of meat are what, etc. make a real nice friend of someone who does it now, help them and learn faster than you think. An old fridge plugged in outside should suffice for the three or four days of curing. Cutting takes me about 8 total hours of labor to debone, grind, cut, wrap and clean up an elk. Maybe a little more.

• Like 1

I understand your concern over ruining the meat by DIY butchering, but I think taking care of it properly in the field is where you're going to make or break the meat quality. Wrapping it properly is also going to be key to keep it from getting freezer burned, but I think there's enough good info out there. Time vs. heat is my biggest worry but I'm planning on learning DIY myself (is it already mid-August? holy cow!) sooner rather than later because I think I got screwed out of some meat last year. Plus, I plan on killing a bunch more critters with my bow now that I finally popped its cherry last September. :)

Tons of free online videos and resources on how to DIY butchering, but DDR is correct, proper field care is by far and away the most important aspect of butchering. When it is on the butcher table, a poorly cut steak can always be ground up instead but a rancid carcass cannot be saved under any scenario. Keep the meat cool and clean in the field.

Well this is definately starting to peak my interest on just DIY'ing it. Thanks for all the points guys. The good news is that i am hunting with my brother and he would most likely be willing to split the cost on all the processing gear with me, and then we would be saving money right out of the gate. I have a weekend in the woods ahead of me to think about it. Thanks again everyone for the sound advise.

Its fun if you have the right equipment, enough people and a cooler of beer. Give everyone a job and make an assembly line so you can crank through it and get things done. someone cleaning, steaking, grinding, wrapping, taping. I did bratwurst for the first time last year and it took me FOREVER but I was alone for the majority of the work.