Sign in to follow this  
jeremiah lindsey

unit one wolf

these are not the wolves in montana/wyo. they can't kill anything , they just eat road kill. i don't understand the rancor. do you think they are responsible for the low big game populations?? Not true. it is a combination of the game mgmnt by azgfd and the drought. there are no wolves in the units 4-26, 28-47.

They probably said similar things about the Montana/Wyoming wolves in the beginning, now it is getting out of control. Previous generations hunted these things to near extinction for a reason. I think they made a good choice.

• Like 2

This is on AZ Central-

Aug 20, 2013 1:16 PM

Authorities say a Mexican gray wolf has died in east-central Arizona’s Apache Sitgreaves National Forest.

Arizona Game and Fish officials say a field team was trying to fit radio-telemetry collars on some Bluestem Pack wolves last weekend.

One female yearling was caught in a padded foot trap and moved into rocky terrain on the edge of a slope.

By the time crews could get to the wolf, it was no longer breathing and couldn’t be revived.

Authorities say it’s only the third such capture-related death in the 15-year history of the Mexican wolf reintroduction project in Arizona and New Mexico.

The Mexican gray wolf was added to the federal endangered species list in 1976 after it was nearly wiped out by government trapping and poisoning designed to help cattle ranchers.

no i did not i took the picture over a year ago i thought it was just a big dog than i was going through my pictures yesterday and came across it and lookd at it and the k9s caught my eye than i started asking my self questions trying to remember the size of the amimals than i herd about wolves near greens peak so i put it up here not sure if it was a dog or a wolf

/>

these are not the wolves in montana/wyo. they can't kill anything , they just eat road kill. i don't understand the rancor. do you think they are responsible for the low big game populations?? Not true. it is a combination of the game mgmnt by azgfd and the drought. there are no wolves in the units 4-26, 28-47.

So there are no wolves down here on the Border??? They say specifically in the regs that there are...

2iivk04.jpg

We watched a heard of roughly 150 elk a few years ago on the New Mexico border with unit 1, we saw calves and cows running into the meadows limping as 2 wolves ran behind nipping their hind legs. A few of the cows in the heard turned around in what seemed to be rescue efforts. The wolves retreated and the injured limped off. Not sure if any died later on or were killed before we saw what happened. So yeah, they eat alot more than road kill.

• Like 1

Their reproduction and survival in the wild over the last 15 years it is terrible. it does not compare to the ones brought into wyo/mont. they are only in a few units. what is causing the low big game populations in the others, grey fox, kit fox, ringtail cat?

This is on AZ Central-

Aug 20, 2013 1:16 PM

Authorities say a Mexican gray wolf has died in east-central Arizona’s Apache Sitgreaves National Forest.

Arizona Game and Fish officials say a field team was trying to fit radio-telemetry collars on some Bluestem Pack wolves last weekend.

One female yearling was caught in a padded foot trap and moved into rocky terrain on the edge of a slope.

By the time crews could get to the wolf, it was no longer breathing and couldn’t be revived.

Authorities say it’s only the third such capture-related death in the 15-year history of the Mexican wolf reintroduction project in Arizona and New Mexico.

The Mexican gray wolf was added to the federal endangered species list in 1976 after it was nearly wiped out by government trapping and poisoning designed to help cattle ranchers.

The radio version of this story this morning claims they performed CPR on the wolf....wonder what the chest compression to breaths ratio is on a wolf???

• Like 2

Their reproduction and survival in the wild over the last 15 years it is terrible. it does not compare to the ones brought into wyo/mont. they are only in a few units. what is causing the low big game populations in the others, grey fox, kit fox, ringtail cat?

if you look at the suddenly very generous bag limits on mountain lions in a lot of units, you'll see what's eating the deer.

Unit 37b you can hunt cats 24/7....

if you look at the suddenly very generous bag limits on mountain lions in a lot of units, you'll see what's eating the deer.

yes. and at three bar the have 100 fawns per 100 does inside the fence. 7 fawns per 100 does outside. the wolves are not coming over and getting them. i would not want to be one of the over population ones that are put outside the fence.

yes. and at three bar the have 100 fawns per 100 does inside the fence. 7 fawns per 100 does outside. the wolves are not coming over and getting them. i would not want to be one of the over population ones that are put outside the fence.

I don't see anyone claiming that the wolves are the sole reason there's a decline in the deer herd. I think the general point of view was that there was already a problem & dumping the wolves into the mix made it worse while really offering no benefit to anyone. It's a fact that they eat deer & elk, & it's also a fact that they cost the tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars to manage while offering abosolutely zero return on the investment. Not even a dime in eco-tourism can be generated, as the Blue Range & surrounding area is so thick & they are so few that they might as well be invisible. All cost + no gain = another perfectly logical move shoved on the tax payers by radical environmentalists & the overly emotional dim wits they sway with their propaganda.

• Like 2

Wait I heard that they have been pushing the elk through the aspens, giving the saplings a chance to grow! So there is a gain there.

When they first introduced these "pure bread" Mexican grey wolves. I was working at the chevron station in morenci. The fish and wild life and g&f guys stopped to get gas before heading up the trail (caged wolves in the trucks) we commented that they look awefuly big to be mex grey wolves, they laughed and assured us the were. What we saw was timber wolf size and mean. I'm sure they could eat anything they want. I'm not saying they'll destroy elk/deer population but?????????????

• Like 1