Sign in to follow this  
ffm71

My better half has her first hunt

This year marks my wife's first hunt. Born and raised mountain girl with am attitude to back it up, but never been on her own hunt before. I want to show her an amazing time out in the sticks. She loves camping and hiking and is super excited. She drew a great 24a WT tag, and my best friend and I will be "guiding" her hunt. We love the area and have seen some great deer there before. The main point of this post is to share my excitement.

But, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little worried about pushing her too hard, or taking some little(to me) things for granted. Any tips and advice from you guys for showing the wife a great time on her first hunt?

I don't need anyone to share their secret spots or anything, we have a pretty good plan for where we will be hunting and have a few more scouting trips as long as the cards fall in line. But of you know any huge bicks out there that have been bothering you and need them dispatched id be happy to do that for you too.

• Like 1

Let her hunt her way. A lot of times, guys make/force their wife or girlfriend to hunt like them. They quickly get burned out and mentally check out. Just be positive and let it flow naturally. Good luck and have fun!

• Like 2

Been in your shoes before. I always make sure that we hunt the way my wife wants too when we hunt together. This has caused me to slow down and I end up enjoying the trip more. Let her determine the pace, ask her for her opinion, see what she wants to do, make her feel that it's her hunt and you'll be good.

• Like 1

I agree with go at her pace. On my girlfriends first deer hunt i went at my normal hunt hard pace and by the end of the second day she was pooped out physically and mentally. On the 3rd day she shot a spike just because she wanted to get the hunt over with. On her second deer hunt I made myself go at her pace and she seemed like she enjoyed herself a lot more. She didn't get one but she passed on numerous small bucks I was very proud of her. I even enjoyed myself more, because I could tell she was enjoying herself.

hunt at her pace and listen to her. if you get to forcefull you could ruin her for hunting for life and don't get crazy if she misses because you already no how it feels when you miss. just enjoy the time together and keep your freind in check. be here my self and screwed up i wish i had this sight to get some advice before i took my wife hunting.

A lot depends on your wife's personality to start with.

1. First and foremost make it FUN! If she's not enjoying herself, she's less likely to go back. Remember that many times some of the "fun" has absolutely nothing to do with hunting.

2. Make sure she has rain gear, warm clothes, and is prepared for all weather and insects. A warm, dry bite free woman is a happy woman.

3. Let her make the pace whenever possible. I spent so many years trying to keep up with my husband which was never really possible on my end.

4. Encourage her to make some of the choices regarding the hunt so she can have a little say.

5. Limit the pressure. If she's not comfortable with something, listen to her. If she doesn't want to take a shot at 400 feet, that should be it. Everyone now knows that I will shoot only when I'm ready period.

6. Practice, practice, practice with her weapon.

• Like 5

Guest oneshot

I realy wish my GF was interested in going hunting, she is a Manhatten, NYC woman (with the attitude, and the accent) and while she has zero desire to hunt, hike, she does enjoy eating what game I bring home, as long as I don't fill her in on the details of the hunt...

Plus1 on NatureGirls comments...

On probably the first deer hunt I had my wife on we were hiking and glassing on a very frigid morning. After an hour or so of that I turned around and saw Sandra and my friend Danny Westfall sitting by a wind break back about 50 yards. I went back and said what's up? They said they quit ! That pretty much set the tone for the next 30 years, take it slow and easy and if the weather is bad, stay in the truck.

Make every aspects of the hunt about her.

Often times a guy will be very driven for the kill so he can impress everyone by having a wife/ girlfriend that killed. All the while you loose focus of what is important. By he way, everybody is already impressed that your wife/girlfriend hunts whether she kills or not.

Enjoy every minute you are out there together!

• Like 1

Take her out on some scouting trips so she can see what it'll be like and you can see how much hiking she can do. Be prepared, she will be sore after the first day. How active is she usually? Does she do aerobics or is she going to do anything to prepare? On the average most womens muscles aren't as dense or developed as a mans and also take a longer time to recoup from strenuous activity.

She will use every muscle in her legs in ways that are tough to prepare for in a gym when she is hiking up and down a mountain. Have her stretch before each outing like runners do before a marathon and bring an extra pair of socks. She needs to be challenged but not overwhelmed if she isn't she will not have anything to draw from if the occasion arises where she has to pour it on for a short time to close the distance.

Set a goal each day and achieve it, raise the bar the next time.

That is what I did with my wife and kids and their still talking to me. LOL

Remember, she is doing this because she also loves you and wants to spend time with you and wants to be part of the excitement.

5. Limit the pressure. If she's not comfortable with something, listen to her. If she doesn't want to take a shot at 400 feet, that should be it. Everyone now knows that I will shoot only when I'm ready period.

+1 on what Naturegirl posted, especially number 5. Don't get aggressive when it's time to shoot, let her take her time and make a great shot. If the shot doesn't feel right to her, don't push her to take the shot. Rushing her and yelling at her to shoot, won't help the buck get killed. I find that most women hunters are very calm and collected when it comes time to shoot and they wait until they feel just right about the shot. Most men on the other hand seem to rush things and get very excited at the time to shoot, which often results in missed shots or requiring multiple shots to kill the animal.

• Like 1

She has been climbing the stairmaster like a mad woman at the gym for the last long in preparation.

great advice everyone, appreciate all the help. I'll be sure to let her set the pace, keep her warm and dry and get her very comfortable with the rifle and the shot.

I went on a hunt with my gf before we started dating, so I thought I would impress her by haulin butt up mountains and hunting very hard. Well her and her sister weren't too impressed, but mad at how fast I was moving as they couldnt keep up. Havent made that mistake again haha lucky for me she already enjoys hunting and wants to go everytime I go out. But I slow the pace wayyy down and she enjoys it alot more

A lot depends on your wife's personality to start with.

1. First and foremost make it FUN! If she's not enjoying herself, she's less likely to go back. Remember that many times some of the "fun" has absolutely nothing to do with hunting.

2. Make sure she has rain gear, warm clothes, and is prepared for all weather and insects. A warm, dry bite free woman is a happy woman.

3. Let her make the pace whenever possible. I spent so many years trying to keep up with my husband which was never really possible on my end.

4. Encourage her to make some of the choices regarding the hunt so she can have a little say.

6. Practice, practice, practice with her weapon.

well said