Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

What's your favorite dove ammo so far this year?

I've been doing well with 20ga Winchester AA's (1175fps) and Federal Game Load (1210fps) - both in 7/8oz. #8's. About to try the Remington Game Load 7/8oz / #7.5 (1250fps) as soon as I run out of the venerable "Federales".

I really like the 375 H&H Magnums loaded to 425 grains, personally. Leaves no doubt. To make it sporting, I do not use a scope, I just take a windage, elevation, spin drift, cross wind, altitude, air density, humidity, cloud cover and wind direction readings and "let 'er rip"!!!

• Like 5

I really like the 375 H&H Magnums loaded to 425 grains, personally. Leaves no doubt. To make it sporting, I do not use a scope, I just take a windage, elevation, spin drift, cross wind, altitude, air density, humidity, cloud cover and wind direction readings and "let 'er rip"!!!

.375 is ok but the meat ends up a little rare. I like a 460 nitro or a 458 remington for a nice crispy bird.

Awesome, why didn't I think of that? It was tough this morning but we finally got our limit.

TJ

Federal Gold Medal 8 &1/2's in 28 ga. is awesome. Rio 8's in 28 ga. sucks. It just does……

Cheap as already said!

Actually last year I bought the better Win stuff also and liked it. I still think a case of cheap shells and a trip to the range is the best bet, more shooting = less missing 😉

.375 is ok but the meat ends up a little rare. I like a 460 nitro or a 458 remington for a nice crispy bird.

I really see no reason why the 416 Rigby has been left off of this list...

Judo tipped arrow!!!!

I'm trying to find a spot where I can let some longbow-launched Flu-Flu's fly, but most of the areas where the birds are the arrows would be pretty difficult to find...

• Like 1

I've been using the estate ammo the past few years, the high and low brass is really good stuff, I haven't shot the alum. stuff. I still have a supply (dwindeling that is) of winchester high brass that I bought at Jensons in tucson for $1.50 a box at their going out of business sale several years ago.

Rocks in the backyard is all I've been slinging at 'em this year so far. I usually shoot the Estate or whatever is on sale...I can miss with whatever ammo you give me. :D Heck I picked up some boxes of Federal from my dad last summer that are probably 20 years old and those are shooting just fine too!

I did take a rather humbling shot at a sitting Gambel's quail with my 9mm last year. Couldn't resist even though I know it wasn't a legal method of take. Quail was in season at least and not in the air so the shot was safe. Yeah...I missed. :angry:

• Like 1

/>

Judo tipped arrow!!!!

I'm trying to find a spot where I can let some longbow-launched Flu-Flu's fly, but most of the areas where the birds are the arrows would be pretty difficult to find...

Late season when they are sitting is judo time! and 20-50 in 1 spot flu flus after judo shoot! in the cresote! archery deer always turns to dove shoot for me.