Chef

So how have you been cooking your dove?

We were able to get out a couple times for the dove opener this year.

Had some fun shooting and trying to limit out on the birds.

I have to say, I do enjoy cooking and eating dove breast.

I just finished up a plate for dinner too. (second photo)

post-67-0-31955600-1378431049_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-43591400-1378431059_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest oneshot

Lovely looking Chef... Have you ever tried the old school/traditionial way of marinating the breasts in the "dove milk"???

Marinate in garlic oil 48hrs. Add a dash of salt and pepper and throw it on the grill until medium rare to medium. Serve with wild rice pilaf and a cold beer! Amazing flavor!

I keep all my wild game recipes simple. I never bury the meat in heavy sauces or spices and I NEVER over cook! :)

Lovely looking Chef... Have you ever tried the old school/traditionial way of marinating the breasts in the "dove milk"???

I never have. I've actually never marinated dove breasts much before at all. As long as I process the birds as quickly as possible, and chill the meat promptly, I've never really had a need to. I do enjoy the mild liver taste that comes from dove meat. (I really enjoy the aroma of cooking actual beef liver & onions but can't eat it for some reason) I simply season the meat with dry seasonings, dust lightly in flour, and sear them in olive oil.

I'm curious now, have you tried it Oneshot?

Marinate in garlic oil 48hrs. Add a dash of salt and pepper and throw it on the grill until medium rare to medium. Serve with wild rice pilaf and a cold beer! Amazing flavor!

I keep all my wild game recipes simple. I never bury the meat in heavy sauces or spices and I NEVER over cook! :)

NEVER overcooking is the main ticket. you can have everything else perfect, but if you overcook it, it's bad.

• Like 1

You are making me hungry Chef!! I bet some people here (including me) would love to hear more about your recipes for dove.

You answered the recipe question as I was typing it!

Yup. The biggest mistake people make is over cooking! That's why I'm always in charge of the cooking at camp! Nothing worse than a hockey puck with fries! Lol

Guest oneshot

Yes Chef, I have tried it... It does make it alittle more tender, and it does mild out that 'liver" flavor and a kinda nutty taste, soaked over night in 'dove milk", salt and pepper, lightly flour and quick seared in Olive oil...roasted veggies and wild rice(wild rice is perfect for game birds)...

plus1... Over cooking is death on game dishes....

Milk, butter milk, wine, and salt water are dehydratints.ifeat is soaked in any of them it gets rid of the bloody/wild taste of most game meat. Not completely but darn near. I'm a fan of the natural taste personally but if I'm cooking for others not used to very lean livery meat, I'll soak overnight. Which dehydratint you use depends on what recipe you use. Milks... Make good breaded or fried meat, red wine.... Makes good recipes such as dove and rice, mushroom sautéed fowl, baked and stuffed, etc. I don't use thesalt water method hardly ever since I'm not a fan of salting food. Many say salt adds flavor but if cooked right, salt is on the table for those who season after. My favorite dove recipe? In a cake pan, raw flavor, latticed atop with bacon and hatch chili, in the smoker for about a hour. Served with asparagus or Brussels sprouts and Dutch oven biscuits.

My favorite is completely SOUTHERN. I let the breasts sit in the fridge. for a few days then they sit in milk for an hour. Salt and peppered flour then in the electric skillet until almost done. While they rest I make southern gravy, (thick), take the buttermilk biscuits out of the oven, finish the corn and mashed potatoes and serve promptly. My second is taking the breasts when they are only half cooked and adding them to your favorite chili. Makes a great camp meal, simple and hearty.

I made a green chili/tomatillo sauce and simmered the dove breast in it in the crock pot for about 3 hours. Went great with corn tortillas to mop it up with.

I soak mine in water for a day, then I dredge them in seasoned flour and brown them in a skillet. When they are all browned, I cover them with water and put them in the oven for and hour. Makes great gravy and the meat falls off the bones!