Chef

So how have you been cooking your dove?

That looks really tasty Chef and all the other recipes sound great also. One of my favorites is listed under the forum "Cooking Wild Food" but I don't know how to move it here.

Click on Forum then scroll down to "Cooking Wild Food". It will be the 13th one down that says Dove Recipe by tjhunt2. I really have to give all the credit to my wife for this one.

Keep them recipes coming and I'm going to try a bunch of them. Thanks for sharing Chef.

TJ

Here's how I like em:

Filet the breast meat off the bone

Soak them in buttermilk overnight

Take out of buttermilk and dip them in eggs

Put in a bowl with flower, salt , pepper and coat them

Put in deep fryer with oil at 350 for 2 minutes

Take out of deep fryer and steam them on the stove for 10 minutes

Serve with BBQ sauce and you have dove mcnuggets!

Don't forget beer to wash it down!

• Like 1

Did last weekends batch today, soaked in milk over night. Filleted almost off the breast bone. Stuffed between the breast meat and the bone with cream cheese and jalepenos on half of the, the other birds stuffed with Gorgonzola and and fresh bacon bits. Put one white wing dove leg on each breast and tied with bakers twine. Oven for half hour at 400.

• Like 1

Soaked mine in A1 and Teriyaki sauce immediately after filleting. Then I made rice and added soy and teriyaki. Tasted good. The boys loved eating the birds we had killed that day.

• Like 1

/>

Soaked mine in A1 and Teriyaki sauce immediately after filleting. Then I made rice and added soy and teriyaki. Tasted good. The boys loved eating the birds we had killed that day.

that sound amazing, except the A1 sauce. I've never been able to aquire a taste for the stuff. Haha if you can imagine this... To me, A1 tastes, like a clean outhouse smells!!! Maybe I'm just weird.

I fillet the meat and then put them in a bowl of ice water with sea salt for an hour in the refrigerator. Pour it off and slice each breast lengthwise into three pieces.

Then in another bowl I mix cumin, chili powder and a little black pepper. This gets worked into the dove and I let it sit anywhere from an hour to half a day.

I then heat a skillet and when it is hot I add some canola oil and when it starts to swirl I toss in some crushed garlic cloves, thinly sliced jalapeno, and some diced bacon with most of the fat cut off.

I cover and simmer for a minute or two, then take a spatula and mix it up so it cooks evenly and add a small amount of oregano cloves and some liquid if needed. I then add the dove and let it cook on one side to brown on a separate side of the skillet for about two minutes until the top part of the dove just has a little pink left. Then I’ll add some thinly sliced green onion tops, mix and cover and turn the heat off.

I serve it with fresh corn tortillas and some chopped cilantro, onion and pasilla pepper each in a separate bowl and some Mango Salsa on the side. Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn’t once you do it a few times. I have never met anyone who didn't love it. If it tastes like liver then it was overcooked, which is easy to do when cooking them on the stove top. I get my tortillas (white corn) from a local supermarket that makes them fresh all day long and go buy them a few hours before I am going to serve them and just keep them in the microwave to keep them warm.

• Like 1

Here are two really good ways...

1. In seasoned water, boil your doves for about 10-15 minutes. Just until the breast meat is easy to pull off the breast bone. Take breast half, a sliver of Jalapeno and Slice of Pepper Jack Cheese and roll them up in a slice of bacon. grill on mesquite smoked BBQ until bacon is cooked..... Bam!!!! Ready to serve dove bits. Serve with a cold beer.

2. Dove Gumbo.... Replace Chicken with Dove in your favorite Gumbo recipe.

• Like 1

Some really great ideas here guys.

It's always nice to see what has been working for people with cooking wild game.

Some of the biggest hurdles to overcome are done by trial and error.

Threads like these definitely cut to the chase and show us all what works!

I filet the meat off of the breast, then let them soak in salt water overnight. I wash them off and do the jalepeno/pepper jack cheese/bacon wrap thing as mentioned by others and off to the grill they go!

This year I'm going to Crock-Pot them in a gumbo or stew... I'll update with pics this weekend I hope.

Looks really tasty !!!!

Last year we made jalapeno cream cheese bacon dove poppers on the grill...it was a little difficult cooking over the grill b/c the fire was burning hot and kept creating grease fires...this year we had some ideas on how to keep the low heat on but there were so many mosquitos outside, instead we put together the jalapeno dove bacon and cream cheese and just baked it on really low heat...came out excellent

Covered in gravy and mixed with hamburger.

It's the only way my dog will eat them.

I sent 2 dozen dove breast to Ethiopia....they returned them with note that said, "WTF?"

• Like 1

Guest oneshot
I sent 2 dozen dove breast to Ethiopia....they returned them with note that said, "WTF?"

hehehehe DesertBull, I needed a good laugh... Thanks....

Oops just started a thread dkid not see this one... i just tossed half dz birds in can of chicken and rice and cream of chicken soup added tobasco, wine, and pepper and had some fine tasting birds in about 10min. Less temp and 20 min would be evn better. what a gr8 lunch

**and what the dove did for the soup is absolutely amazing! Heck fillet your birds then drop remains in soup like a ham bone