Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

opening day archery bull

not a giant but a cool looking bull just the same. it was an epic hunt through a crazy thunder and lightning storm that dumped rain on us the entire time we were trying to work in on him. we tried to stalk this same bull in the morning and it didnt work out. we went back in the afternoon and got him. they got up earlier in the overcast conditions friday afternoon, it was me and my dad following this elks bugles and we had to make 5 different approaches on him to get everything lined up where we could sneak in close enough for a shot. we didnt see his antlers until we got to about 100 yards and all we could see was the top of his rack, i could see he had that long kicker and good 4's. finally we get to a spot where can avoid his cows and sneak in for a possible shot. from behind a little pine tree my dad ranges him, "64 yards". i step over and put the 60yd pin in the middle of his body and pull. i didnt know if i had hit him, it didnt make a loud contact noise and i couldnt really see my arrow but when he took off he lurched pretty hard. we walk up to where he was and my dad finds my arrow covered in blood, it was a complete pass through. i look over and he is standing 50 yard away, and if there still standing im still shooting. knocked another arrow and stuck him again, pass through again. he basically laid down right there, first shot turned out was straight throught the power plant. i wanted something enormous but it was the best hunt on a bull ive ever had, the memories will be hard to beat and if he would have been a raghorn i probably would have still shot lol. was using the cheapest bass pro shop brand broadheads, they flew perfect and i'll never shoot anything different if they keep making them. not huge but he is 7x8

34sjpcw.jpg

34fliix.jpg

2mo8101.jpg

• Like 4

Great bull and nice story. Congrats!!!

• Like 1

Congrats on a super nice bull.

• Like 1

Great bull, thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

• Like 1

'Not huge but he is a 7x8'...Are you kiddin me. That guy is a beast of a bull. Congrats ;)

• Like 2

I love those dark antlers!!! I would love to know what he scored. Congrats!!!!!!!!

-Ryan

• Like 2