Sign in to follow this  
mc68

stratify hunts

I've been pushing for this for years and haven't gotten anywhere yet with it. I would like to hear what you guys think about it. My thought is that I would love to see the Archery Elk hunts stratified similar to the way they do the Spring Turkey hunts. I would love to see TWO seperate 10 day hunts. The first one could run like September 10-19 every year then the second hunt run September 20-29th. Then the Early rifle hunt open on the 30th. By doing this the G&F could actually sell a few more tags each hunt because the success rate would drop a little and the people will get drawn more frequently because of the increase in hunt options. Seems to me that this would also work very well for the outfitters. I really don't see a down side to this other than the hunts would start on a certain day every year instead of on a Friday. So what's your thoughts?

What about the guys who've been waiting for years for a trophy rifle tag? More hunters in the woods just before the rifle hunt isn't good. I may change my opinion after I draw a tag and kill a bull haha, nothin but cow (meat) hunts after that. I just want 1.

I, for one am not for ANYTHING that puts more tags out there. There, imho, are way too many tags offered for most species especially elk and deer in the state.

• Like 5

I, for one am not for ANYTHING that puts more tags out there. There, imho, are way too many tags offered for all species especially elk and deer in the state.

way too many.

The impact on rifle hunts would be minimal. I would prefer this without adding more tags, its basically what they do with the archery antelope hunt in 19A.

I don't think I explained this well enough...I will give an example. Say a unit right now offers 200 archery tags. I would like them to break that into 2 different 10 day hunts, each of them with 100 tags. They have already done this with Turkey and the overall opinion as I understand has been positive. I don't want more tags sold either, but they could increase each of the hunts by as small amount and still meet their harvest objectives. Is what I want is for more Hunting opportunity without sacrificing the positive experience. I honestly would think that people with a lot of points would push for a system like this so that we can all get a chance to hunt Elk more frequently. I for one would rather lose a few days on the length of the hunt and increase the number of tags I could have in my hunting career. I hope this explains it better.

I don't think its ridiculous. heck they already have to many tags. If your going to have say 350 archery bull tags in a unit. An have another 150 archery cows at the same time just break it up into 2 or 3 different hunts so you don't dump 500 hunters into a unit on a so called premium hunt. I'd go 150... 100... 100 if you feel you need to kill that many bulls which is a freaking JOKE. Or just go ahead an purpose AZGFD pulls their heads out of their you know what's an stop bbumping trophy hunts from 150 to 350 in one yr. But honestly if they are going to have that many tags an still consider them premium hunts I see no other way of doing it. Anyone who hunted unit one yrs prior and saw the cluster up there this yr has to agree.

. Anyone who hunted unit one yrs prior and saw the cluster up there this yr has to agree.

Unit one was more than a cluster this year. Cluster is an understatement.

Brian

Unit 27 was a prime example of "cluster" and too many people this year. G&F should have just kept the # of tags where they have had them this whole time. They just love $$$$$$ to much. It's a Shame 😕

Unit 1, 27, and 3B used to be a triangle of awesomeness!! The res bulls and cows would cross freely and often all times of year, even hunting seasons. These units are still very good (especially the 1/27 border) but nothing like they were years back. I won't use the "greed" word but why raise the number of archery tags? And this year 27 early rifle is non existent but early archery hunts still go on as scheduled. Why take away the 25 rifle tags and still allow 100's of archery tags? I'm in no way an expert on managing wildlife but I'd prefer having a few less archery and maybe, a BIG! Maybe a few more early rifle tags. I'm guessing they give more archery tags because they assume success rates are lower with a bow? Archery equipment and hunters now a days are pretty dang good with their bows.

Unit 1, 27, and 3B used to be a triangle of awesomeness!! The res bulls and cows would cross freely and often all times of year, even hunting seasons. These units are still very good (especially the 1/27 border) but nothing like they were years back. I won't use the "greed" word but why raise the number of archery tags? And this year 27 early rifle is non existent but early archery hunts still go on as scheduled. Why take away the 25 rifle tags and still allow 100's of archery tags? I'm in no way an expert on managing wildlife but I'd prefer having a few less archery and maybe, a BIG! Maybe a few more early rifle tags. I'm guessing they give more archery tags because they assume success rates are lower with a bow? Archery equipment and hunters now a days are pretty dang good with their bows.

They didn't take the rifle hunt away, it rotates between 1 and 27.

I didn't know that? Thanks for clearing it up for me. If I remember right (probably not) I have put in for early 27 and unit 1 in the past. My only 3 choices anymore are 1 or 27 1st and 2nd and 3b muzzle loader 3rd. I always remember having 3 choices on my app until this years draw I only put 2 choices because 27 wasn't an option.