Sign in to follow this  
CouesKilla

Camping in Unit 29

I have not hunted here for over 10 years. Will I be safe camping through the first hunt? Illegals and drug runners worry me. Please let me know. Thanks

I've archery hunted that unit for years and rifle hunted it a couple different years. I have never seen any illegal's or had any problems camping. I have ran across sign from them (water jugs, food cans, etc.) But have never personally had or talked to anybody over there that has had problems.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. I fugure as long as I'm well armed and keep eveything locked up nobody should bother me. I will be hunting the northeastern end of the Chiricahua's. Not exactly right next to the border. Keeping fingers crossed.

You're probably safer closer to the border since they will already have water and will be well fed and rested so less likely to stop in your camp.

/>I have not hunted here for over 10 years. Will I be safe camping through the first hunt? Illegals and drug runners worry me. Please let me know. Thanks

What hunt do you have

Funny, i mentioned this issue to a buddy and he said the folks who cross know when hunting season is and they avoid moving those times since everyone is armed and on edge. I dont see anyone walking up into the mountain range anyway, they would go around. I have the NOv 8 hunt and will be on the west side up in high country. I need a new truck anyway so if that goes bey bey no big deal. LOL

Funny, i mentioned this issue to a buddy and he said the folks who cross know when hunting season is and they avoid moving those times since everyone is armed and on edge. I dont see anyone walking up into the mountain range anyway, they would go around. I have the NOv 8 hunt and will be on the west side up in high country. I need a new truck anyway so if that goes bey bey no big deal. LOL

Haha! Lots of them go right up over the top of the mountain range... Especially the dope runners!

Careful down there, illegals where suspected of this but never caught. I hunted down there quite a bit and never had any real problems. Saw many crossing around Portal and Paradise, only time I was annoyed is when I was sitting my blind and had 10-12 come walking by me. BP has had more presence down there when I've been hunting the last couple years. Lock your stuff up.

http://www.kvoa.com/mobile/news/natl-park-service-employee-attacked-in-the-chiricahuas/

I've hunted and camped in Horseshoe Canyon in 29 three or four times now and have never had any issues. Nothing at night, nothing disturbed in camp while we are out. Only time we ever saw BP is in the first mile of the canyon.

I have the first hunt. We were thinking of camping near Paradise. Now thinking about getting a room in Portal....just so I can sleep at night!

90% of the traffic is after dark

you have to be more worried about the ones headed back to mexico!!

stay alert - have BP #'s ahead of time -speed dial -- not sure of cell reception in the mtns.

/>90% of the traffic is after dark

you have to be more worried about the ones headed back to mexico!!

stay alert - have BP #'s ahead of time -speed dial -- not sure of cell reception in the mtns.

Verizon reception is not good. Even down in portal. Have to find just the right spot.

I've hunted a lot down there. I've seen illegals quite a few times. Never had any issues. Had one last year wondering if we would call border patrol to pick him up. He was tired and had enough. He was ready to go back.

Camping wise during the rifle hunts usually isn't a problem. There are usually a lot of people camped down there and there are not a lot of good places to camp in some areas so most camp close to each other. During archery hunts when there are very few people down there, we usually stay in the rv park in Rodeo or in the motel in Portal.

And yes there is as much traffic that goes over the top of the mountains as there is down low so just be aware and you will be good. There is usually quite a bit of border patrol running around through the mountains too.

Have fun and good luck. One of my favorite places to be is down there.

Brian

They travel quite a bit in the day light hours as you can see in my picture below. I've had them get in my side by side and try and start it, go through my camp at night and take all of my water, play cat and mouse with some of them in black headed back south and so on. All of that being said I'll be danged if I'll let it stop me from hunting or camping in one of my favorite units. Good news is that the patrols have increased during the last few years but the bad news is that it seems to have driven most of them more off the beaten path. I tend to see more activity the higher I go now. Be careful and keep your guard up and you'll be OK.

post-216-0-39565300-1380823200.jpg

• Like 1

Don't think for a minute you won't run into any illegals. Last year my son had a hunt down there and we were stalking in on a buck and this "guy" came walking up on us. Scarded the heck out of my son. He gave us some crazy story of him and a buddy out hiking and said they had an argument and that he was looking for a road. This was early in the morning and he had come through some of the worst country the unit has. He had no light or anything, had to have been a rough night. I pointed the way to town and he went on his way. As soon as I could get service I reported it and met up later with Border Patrol. He told me that the guy was most likely a guide and had left the people he was bringing across to fend for themselves when the heat was coming on them. The officer also told me that they are using the back country more and more because of the increased security along the roads. Bottom line is be ready for anything and be careful. Good luck. Might see you down there since my son drew that tag again....

Don't think for a minute you won't run into any illegals. Last year my son had a hunt down there and we were stalking in on a buck and this "guy" came walking up on us. Scarded the heck out of my son. He gave us some crazy story of him and a buddy out hiking and said they had an argument and that he was looking for a road. This was early in the morning and he had come through some of the worst country the unit has. He had no light or anything, had to have been a rough night. I pointed the way to town and he went on his way. As soon as I could get service I reported it and met up later with Border Patrol. He told me that the guy was most likely a guide and had left the people he was bringing across to fend for themselves when the heat was coming on them. The officer also told me that they are using the back country more and more because of the increased security along the roads. Bottom line is be ready for anything and be careful. Good luck. Might see you down there since my son drew that tag again....

he spoke english?