Sign in to follow this  
m77

Hunting Essentials

Everyones getting their day packs ready and checking them twice. WHAT ARE THE ESSENTIALS IN YOUR PACK? Do you make a list in advance and check it off as you pack? Do you have a good luck charm that you never hunt without?

• Like 1

A list would be a good idea. Most of the stuff in my stays in it all the time. Snakebite kit (only used once),TP, Baby wipes, compass, signed tag, matches, lighter, flint&steel, hatchet, nylon string, bright orange tape. Have to add flashlights, batteries, GPS, water bottle and Copenhagen to make it hunt ready.

Haven't had good luck for a few years so I need to find something that works.

• Like 1

depends on the plan for the day, minimum is glass, food, water & a knife, everything else is added or removed depending on the the country and what I intend to do

Good luck charm is an old primos coyote hand call, always stays in my pack no matter what I'm hunting.

Essentials is Copenhagen and baby wipes, I could forget just about anything besides glass and rifle (with ammo) and feel ok for the day. But if I forget cooenhagen the day is ruined haha!

• Like 3

I have chronic overpacking syndrome... Essentials in my lumbar/day pack are: 2 20oz water bottles, map, full box of ammo, no less than 3 knives capable of field dressing, 2 radios, GPS, AA batteries, AAA batteries, 5 ziplock gallon bags, small camo tarp, signal mirror, whistle, compass, blaze orange vest and cap, firestarter, knife sharpener, space blanket, facepaint, pair of extra gloves, scent-away small spray bottle, 4 carabiners and 100ft 550 cord, 2 Gerber multi-tools, headlamp, flashlight, 4 game bags, and some up-to-the-elbow yellow rubber gloves.

• Like 2

I have a list that I go off of just to make sure that I have everything that I need. However, I do have a camo-phanny pack that is packed full of everything I would need to survive 24 hours in case the crap hits the fan. If it is a short hike I always have my little pack....anything more and I put that little pack in a backpack with everything else.

Bare essentials for me are a knife, gun, bullets, water, pic of my wife and a prayer.

Scooter, your pack sounds like mine. Way more than I ever have needed. Those three knives and sharpener came in handing skinning and quartering an elk back in a wilderness area of Colorado. So did the game backs and parachute cord.

Like your list of Bare Essentials Ready2Hunt. Are you prior Active Duty Military?

Thanks everyone. Thought I might get a better response, but I guess the post isn't controversial enough. LOL. Did I just use LOL? Sorry about that!!!!!

• Like 1

I try to go in light with the thoughts that I'm going to come out heavy. I pack: 2 knives, a sharpener, paracord, fire starter, lighters, game bags, TP, baby wipes, GPS, 100 oz camelback, 1 liter collapsable water bottle, MY TAG, lion tag(just in case), bear tag, a Circe varmint call, rangefinder, camera, flash light, head lamp, batteries for everything, windicator, food, and extra boot laces. The one thing I don't hunt without is an Old Timer Honing Steel/hip buster that I inheritited from my late Father. He showed me how to use it on my first big game animal, an archery Javalina, and its been in every animal I've taken since. Wow, when it's all listed out, it doesn't seem so light...

• Like 2

dont forget the first aid kit and tape

alot can be fixed/repaired with some redneck welding (duck tape)

• Like 1

I start off with the essentials. Water, food for the day, knife, folding saw, rope, fire starter,binoculars and tripod and small pouch filled with various medicine. (headache, allergy, etc). Then depending on the hunt. Will depend on the rest. Sleeping bag, spotting scope, extra clothes so on and so forth

Unbelievably, years ago I forgot a KNIFE of all things! Anyway, I killed a little 2x2 several miles from camp and wound up gutting it with a piece of a broken bottle I was fortunate enough to find in the bottom of a drainage.

I now have a list!

• Like 5

Unbelievably, years ago I forgot a KNIFE of all things! Anyway, I killed a little 2x2 several miles from camp and wound up gutting it with a piece of a broken bottle I was fortunate enough to find in the bottom of a drainage.

I now have a list!

Ha! I cleaned a stringer of trout with a Cope lid!

• Like 2

All You Guys Carrying Several Knives... Buy One QUALITY Knife Like A Gene Ingram Or Charles May And Be Down To One.

Mine Doesn't Differ Much Besides A Chain With The Ivories Of My First Elk, And Mule Tape.

• Like 1