Sign in to follow this  
kwp

Rifle Build - Looking for Input

I'm thinking about having a rifle built in the next few months so I am trying to decide what caliber. I currently own a .300 Win Mag, 270 Win and 30-06. The 30-06 was my grandfathers and it has done nothing more than sit in the gunsafe for the last decade+. I'd like to use this gun since it is a family heirloom and I have decided to rechamber.

The action is a Remington Model 721. The rifle will be used for varmints, javelina, and possibly coues and mule deer. I have the bigger guns for bigger game. Another primary purpose of the rifle will be for my nephew, neices, and sons to use for thier first big game hunts. Recoil and weight will be concerns for the kids as I'd like them to be able to carry it on hunts. I reload so the less common chamberings are options. My goal will be to be able to shoot long ranges under ideal conditions.

Originally I thought the 25-06 was the obvious choice and it still may be but I'm looking for opinions. A good buddy recommended the 6.5mm Creedmore. At first glance it looks like there is a better selection of bullets in 6.5mm than 25 cal. Will likely shoot a Nosler Accubond, Hornady SST, or something of similar construction.

Thanks for your input!!

I can say you would not be sad with the 6.5 creedmoor. I have one and love it. Absolute tac driver. 25-06 will get a lot more velocity and still has a good selection of bullets. You can't go wrong with either but I absolutely love the 6.5 creedmore. Another awesome round that you should definitely look into is the 6XC. The 6XC is an amazing round having shot it and its one not a lot of people know about and overlook. Definitely worth looking into.

Yes, I plan on using my grandfather's action for the build. I considered keeping as is but feel it's the best way to continue the tradition of the rifle even though it will be a different caliber.

Thanks for the input.

Consider 6.5-06AI. Same casIng with modifications and a smaller bullet. Guys I've talked to who have them rave about them.

I'd keep it simple and get a 25.06 barrel from PAC-NOR. Ammo is easy to find and it can be downloaded for varmints.

In my opinion, if you change the gun, it will no longer be grandpas gun. It will now be a mutated, modern rifle with little to no connection to grandpa.

I have the same 'grandaddys gun' (in the words or Aaron Lewis) as you in .270 that I am not sure I have use it since I shot my lion in 2006, but the rifle remains untouched, other then changing scopes, from the day my grandpa used it. THAT is keeping grandpas memory alive and well within the rifle.

• Like 1

A 30-06 is my favorite "all around rifle." I would leave it the way it is and build a completely different rifle in a 6.5, I don't own a 6.5 but if I had the $$$ I would build it in that caliber.

Can we see a pic of your grandpa's rifle?

I wouldnt touch granddads gun, get a donor remington 700 long action and do a 6.5-06,,or 6.5-284 no kick awsome ballistics and if ys wanns go really crazy do an ackly improved

• Like 1

A 6.5 gives you everything your looking for. Absolutely great long range ballistics and really not a whole lot of recoil with any of them. Since you have a long action I would go with a long action chambering to maximize performance. The 6.5-284 is a great caliber with forgiving recoil and like sjvcon said the 6.5-06AI is just bad a$$ and produces recoil very similar to the 270. The 6.5 creedmoor and 260 Remington are fantastic cartridges as well but are really out classed by the larger 6.5s. The 25-06 is a fantastic cartridge as well and will provide everything your looking for as well. People always say that the 25s lack bullet options but you can get bullets as light as 70 grains up to 120 grains which is really all you need to tackle the game you intend to hunt. I have found the 25s to kill with great authority despite there relatively light bullet weights. As far as deer go I feel the 25 is probably the ideal cartridge with its high velocity and reasonable ballistic performance. Yes there are better calibers and cartridges out there but its 25s and 6.5s for me.

I'm with the crowd that says "don't mess with Grandad's gun". Also, it's a Remington 721- a classic in its own right and should probably be kept just how it is. I say get yourself a nice Savage or a Remington 700 and be done with it. I bet you won't spend as much buying a new rifle than you will getting Grandad's rifle rechambered and getting yourself all re-tooled on the reloading bench. If you are determined to do it... 25-06 is a beast. I've shot that caliber in a friend's rifle and it's awesome. Haven't shot 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5x284 yet- but I bet they're just as cool.

For kids, I'd fret the stock choice/LOP as much as the cartridge and what "long range" means to the kids.

I'd not try to make them fit into a 13.5" LOP stock which is standard. I'd run a 12.5" LOP stock so they can have a better cheek weld/sight picture. Or, you may be able to get away with it running a scope like a Leupold VX-II fixed 6 as it has massive eye relief and a very generous eye box so you can play with the scope mounting latitude.

For cartridge selection, I wouldn't get too fancy. A 6.5's recoil (dependent on the kids of course) with the aforementioned cartridges above with anything but mild 100's or 120's may be a bit much to practice with, which I'll assume they will do if you want to shoot "long range".

For 400 yards and in, I would run a vanilla .243, load an 80 grain TTSX at mediocre speeds (under 3,100 or so), get a stock that fits them, run good glass with enough eye relief, and kill you lots of deer. Recoil will be mild to non-existent to us, but if we're talking kids, this is my recommendation.

Find a youth model 700 in .243, bed it, and shoot it is what I'd do. Leave grandpa's gun alone...

Thanks for the input everyone. Maybe I will consider leaving the model 721 as is.

To clarify a couple items. The rifle will not be just for kids, it may become my go to coues rifle. The kids won't shoot long range until they have proven they are capable.

How will recoil in the different 6.5s compare and how will the recoil compare to 25-06 or 270?

Kwp- it takes a rebarrel not just rechamber.. new barrel 318$ , chamber and thread 150-175 $ total near 500 plus a wait . if you go with a chrome moly barrel you still have add a bluing charge too,. you could just buy a rem 700 adl varmint from dicks with a scope for 499 . 243 or 22-250. A stainless adl from sportsmans for about the same. ( if the 270 is a 700 i would rebarrel IT to 6.5-284 ). also the 721 is a long action , not needed for a 6.5X47 or creedmore.