bigorange

Issues with old ammo?

Not sure where to post this, so the campfire it is...wondering what kind of issues (if any) to expect using old ammo. Specifically I have some shotgun shells from my dad that I remember him buying at least 25 yrs ago. Stored in the house at controlled temperature the entire time.

I'm on the cheap side :D so I'd love to go ahead and use them, but want to make sure it's safe. I did shoot some of the .22lr ammo that he had from about the same time without any issues..

If not advisable to shoot, then what's the recommended method of disposal?

you should be fine ive shoot lots of old ammo. have had an occasional miss fire

If their the old shells and not the modern plastic hulls they could swell. I had an old box of 12ga that wouldn't chamber due to swelling. I've been trying to blow off a bunch of 22 rounds that I acquired a few years ago, 50 round boxes that are marked with a yellow front price tag 29cents a box. So far it's all shot fine.

Guest wdenike

Big O,

If stored like you have explained. You will have absolutely no problems. Some may laugh at this. But me and dad still have prehistoric paper shot gun shells, and even some 100% brass case 00 buck military 12 ga. stuff that still goes boom very effectively.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

Thanks guys. These are plastic hull Federal shells...$3.99 a box with the TN tax stickers still on them. :D

I didn't think there would be issues, but wanted to check.

I've read that some properly stored WW2 era stuff is still around and being used. If properly stored ammo should be good for a very long time.

Guest wdenike
Brass cased surplus ammo lasts forever, the last 7.62 I bought was head stamped 48

12ga. 00 buck with flat round piece of cardboard that brass was lightly crimped to keep lead tight to the wad.

Take care, Willie

If their the old shells and not the modern plastic hulls they could swell. I had an old box of 12ga that wouldn't chamber due to swelling. I've been trying to blow off a bunch of 22 rounds that I acquired a few years ago, 50 round boxes that are marked with a yellow front price tag 29cents a box. So far it's all shot fine.

I don't think anyone got the Yellow Front part! LOL!

anyone under 40 will say what is Yellow Front........

ahhh... the plain pocket jeans, the generic converse.... those were the days! LOL!!!

James

• Like 1

Guest wdenike

Quote James : ahhh... the plain pocket jeans, the generic converse.... those were the days! LOL!!!

Ya really gave me a laugh with that one. I'll go one further. DUNGAREES LMAO

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

Yellow Front and Thrifty ice cream.....10cent scoops/squares.

I'm not that old!! Maybe greenlee county was/is behind the times but I believe the yellow front shut down in the early 90's? However the .22 ammo I'm referring to is from the early 80's. oh yellow front, good times looking thru that place. I also remember my first new bed as a kid came from western auto haha!! They also sold guns and ammo.

I'm not that old!! Maybe greenlee county was/is behind the times but I believe the yellow front shut down in the early 90's? However the .22 ammo I'm referring to is from the early 80's. oh yellow front, good times looking thru that place. I also remember my first new bed as a kid came from western auto haha!! They also sold guns and ammo.

They filed Chapter 11 in 1990.