Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

1st Jr Javi for the boy

My boy just turned 10 in March so I took him through firearm safety mid year, missed putting in for early draw for deer but was able to pick up a leftover jr javi tag 37A/37B along with a Nov 8 WT tag in 36B. Well we got up super early and started kickin the sticks around 6:00, no luck just a bunch of quail. Went to the 2nd spot and climbed into a gorgeuos bowl only to be beaten by other hunters glassing it, told the boy 1st come 1st serve and we left. Asked the boy if he was getting disappointed about not seeing any pigs and wanted to know if he wanted to try one more spot. He said absolutely and off we went. Took him over a small ridge about 10:30 and started glassing, I told him I wanted to try my J-36 javi call to see what might come out of this small ravine, 5 minutes later I see something on the hoof headed toward us. At first I thought it was a yote but it was grunting and hoofing all the way here. I told Jake to extend the bipod and get ready, it came within 25 yds and wouldn't present a shot, plus the rock cliff we were on wasn't the flattest either. It ran off through the brush only to be followed by 5 more. The 2nd pig stood boadside about 30 yds down hill just long enough for Jake to squeese one off. One and done. High fives, fist punches and huge smiles. The other 4 pigs stood around for awhile and slowly headed back into the ravine. We both headed down so that Jake could tag his first big game. Gutted it and started heading back to the truck. Took more pics, loaded up and smiled the whole way home. Looking forward to the Nov 8th WT trip. I told him a goal he should strive for would be to fullfill the AZ Big 10 before he turns 20. I told him he only needed 9 more and in which he replied after Nov it will only be 8. I'l be rooting for him.

post-2173-0-33984600-1381532281_thumb.jpg

Way to go!

A big Congratulations for Jake. Good luck on the Nov. hunt and thanks for sharing Jake's hunt with us. Can't beat them javi calls. :)

TJ

Way to go Jake! It's hard staying calm when you have pigs running all around, sounds like you did great and had super shot! Congrats!!!