Sign in to follow this  
out2hunt

Matthew's first pack out

Hi everyone,

Thought I would share the story of Matthew's second successful cow hunt. This time the hunt was in 3a/c and we picked 3c to make our home for the weekend. Opening morning was frosty at 29 degrees and white as if it had snowed. We decided to chase some bugles and we were off and running, hopes and spirits on high we descended all the way down into a canyon only to lose the herd up a canyon we had no business trying to climb so out we packed back up the mountain to the truck. It's 1130 now and the poor kid is tucked after the 3.5 mile round trip jaunt we had just experienced, so back to camp for a refill of energy and we were back at it again. This time we wised up and found a ridge we could drive out on and possibly intersect the elk we had been tailing. Behold a sweet water hole is found and we set up on the east facing ridge among the oaks that were dropping fresh acorns. We were in their honey hole, beds and fresh sign everywhere. About an hour and a half goes by and we start to hear bugles again and they seem to be close. I threw a reed in my mouth and start to cow call and they responded. Matthew could not believe his eyes when after my fourth set of mews here comes 11 cow 3 bull and 4 fawn at 90 yards. Matthew is steadied on a tree stump with the Sig Sauer 270 ready to make it's mark. He asks if it's okay to take the last cow and I say yes she is a big cow and before the word cow left my mouth I was drowned out by the sound of the rifle going off. Thud, and she is off down the canyon! Matthew looks at me and say's, I can't believe you speak elk dad! I about chuckled out loud but I was mewing trying to settle the animal. Unfortunately the shot was about two inches high and just nicked one lung and passed through. She left us a meager trail at best but after 300 yards we spooked her up and down the canyon she goes, all the way to the bottom and starts up the other side and expires after Matt put a second round in her. 515 when we get to her and the race is on against the loss of light. Last quarter is hung from a tree at 710 pm and we packed out for dinner and bed for the next morning we would have to make two trips to pack her out. My son amazed me with straight will power to get her out of the canyon. I could not feel more blessed by the good Lord as he made sure our journey was safe. Over the next two days we helped other hunters glass, and even tracked a downed cow for another youth. For our efforts, Rich (grandfather to the shooter) invited us to dinner......Fried chicken, and it was amazing! All in all our families most successful year in the field yet! Thanks for reading, pictures are of the pack out!

post-1272-0-80176300-1381719495_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-50281700-1381719531_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-07834500-1381719561_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-82709300-1381719599_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-22352600-1381719640_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-70607600-1381719676_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-00592200-1381719710_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-30614000-1381719737_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-75578200-1381719743_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Another great story of a youth hunt. Congratulations on a nice elk. Glad to see it coming out in pieces...the way it should be!

• Like 1

Congratulations to Mathew on his second successful cow hunt. Looks like it a pretty steep climb out of there. There's nothing like going to bed knowing you hsave filled your tag and a pack job waits you in the morning. Thanks for a great story and thanks for sharing. Big kudos for helping out others after your hunt ended. May the good Lord bless you with many more hunts with your son. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Congratulations to Mathew on his second successful cow hunt. Looks like it a pretty steep climb out of there. There's nothing like going to bed knowing you hsave filled your tag and a pack job waits you in the morning. Thanks for a great story and thanks for sharing. Big kudos for helping out others after your hunt ended. May the good Lord bless you with many more hunts with your son. :)

TJ

Thank you for your kind words and amazing blessings! I feel that it is my responsibility to teach Matthew that being a sportsman, a real sportsman, requires a certain amount of selflessness. After being blessed like we were, I felt that it was more important to teach him to help other's than to be selfish with that time. We could have squirrel hunted but that would not have made us the new friends we have now would it :rolleyes:

awesome congrats young buddy great pics those will be memories that will last a lifetime

• Like 1

Way to hang tough Mathew! Congrats on a very successful hunt!!!

• Like 1