FancyRedneck

Unit 21 Whitetail.

I know I put up some pictures of this buck already but thought a story might be good to add to it.

So I went out on Thursday morning before the season opener and had an idea of where I wanted to scout before I got the chance to chase after them.I had been out all week and had little success finding anything. This was my last chance . I got up early and to the spot I wanted to glass from . It was overcast so it was a bit tough getting on them but eventually I found a little 2 point and waited to see if there was anything with him and sure enough there was. I sat and watched him on the side of the hill for what seemed like an eternity. All i could see was rack sticking out from behind the tree and my blood was flowing. I told my girlfriend how excited I was and that i wanted to back out and hopefully he would be there when I went back in the morning. This was nerve racking because it was about 11 am . I had to wait 17 hours before I could head back in. I checked my gear twice and packed my bag that night so I could get an early start.

The alarm went off at 4 am and I was out the door 20 minutes later picked up my buddy and was at the parking spot by 520. We headed up the ridge and got to where I had seen the buck the day before and I looked in my pack but couldnt find my bino's , I had left them on the back seat in my truck luckily it was only about 3/4 of a mile away. I leave my buddy and head back to get them and get back before the sun comes up. I get there and he tells me " 3 bucks but they are mule deer" . What this cant be , I sit down and start glassing couldn't have be 2 minutes and I see him " There he is !!" . My buddy in disbelief says where and I show him and we set up the game plan.

The buck is downhill and 500+ yards away. I ease off the ridge we are glassing from so he can watch if the stalk goes wrong. I make it down in the wash below me and ease to the top and find the buck . I cut the distance by more than half .He is still feeding the way he was when I left the glassing spot but now he is behind a bunch of mesquite bushes I see a small opening and wait for him to come out . It seems like a long time but probably only ten minutes and I have time to watch him feed into the scope and pause broadside. I find my spot and squeeze the trigger .... Boom I hear the sound of the bullet hit the deer but loose him in my scope. I look back towards my buddy and all I hear is " He's down !!!" . He watched the whole thing through his bino's.

I wait for him to get down to me and we decide to go to where I shot him at ,but we came across him as we were making our way over to where he was standing before the shot. And we knew where he was. We get to him and knew he was a good buck but he surprised us both . The shot a .308 WIN 165gr Hornady SST took out the heart and lungs.

What an awesome hunt and great way to spend opening morning . Ill never forget my bino's after this.

Havent had a chance to get a tape on him for a true score but I got roughly 15 3/8 outside . I am happy no matter what he scores though .post-11263-0-45233600-1382850593_thumb.jpgpost-11263-0-21951900-1382851204_thumb.jpgpost-11263-0-32385000-1382850680_thumb.jpgpost-11263-0-54968500-1382850980_thumb.jpgpost-11263-0-30476600-1382851102_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Amazing story, thanks for sharing and a great buck...Congratulations.

Alex