Sign in to follow this  
azryan

Fun in The Sun...My 2013 Buck

I have not posted in awhile just have been busy the last couple years. I used to get out in the hills more often, but my baby boy and fiancee take all the priority. I did not get to put in as much time scouting for this hunt as I would have liked but I made the time I had count. My goal for this hunt was to kill a 100" deer for my own, after helping a few others kill some great bucks. I have always had bad luck on my hunts, I enjoy helping other people kill animals but I was getting a little jealous ;) My brother is getting married next month and we were not gonna have any time for a bachelor party, so I invited him to come up and glass with me, and to just get some good ol' man time in. I needed another set of binos and Ross Outdoors came through. Thanks to Josiah for hooking me up with his personal pair of 12X50 EL's. My dad went up early and got us a campsite. He just decided to stay back at camp and cook for us, which was amazing. They both were a big help and it made the trip way more enjoyable. My brother and I were up early and on the hill before sunrise both mornings. As on these early hunts, it is usually hot and can be miserable for lack of better words. We made it fun, talking trash, cracking jokes the entire time while baking in the sun. We got some awesome tan lines and some sunburn too show for it. Long story short, on the second afternoon we went to one of my favorite spots knowing we would turn up a decent buck or two. One of the things I like about this area is that you are well within shooting range to most points.

250b8bf6-69e9-4948-9431-333148a570f5.jpg

IMG_20131026_142750.jpg

5346f013-8666-49a8-8814-3f85436c1733.jpg

Lo and behold after glassing for 4 hours and burning in that miserable sun, I laid eyes on a buck that I liked. He was tall and symmetrical. Glassed him up around 4:45pm feeding in the shade of a juniper.

SAM_9301.jpg

SAM_9303.jpg

SAM_9304.jpg

I got setup for the shot which I ranged at 341 yards. I quickly switched plates from my binos to the triclawps and got setup for the shot

9b98f7c4-5fb7-46df-8871-b619b658e337.jpg

I waited a little too long to take the shot, I was busy taking pictures and video of him and wasted some time. After going behind the juniper for awhile I was afraid he was going to bed back down and had missed a good opportunity at a shot. Luckily he came out to the left of the juniper before it got to dark to shoot. I was able to get him down after the 2nd shot, I was upset about my shot-placement on the first shot but was thankful about the outcome. He is my biggest buck to date and I was happy to have my brother there to experience it all

SAM_9310.jpg

SAM_9311.jpg

SAM_9314.jpg

SAM_9321.jpg

7245d39c-3e99-4ca9-9158-47d753573d19.jpg

c7735af3-6b0c-4175-8f65-ee3e8a6aae5b.jpg

SAM_9349.jpg

(You can see where my first shot hit, I was not happy with it)

743b1e17-a9f1-47f3-ac5a-349994d38535.jpg

SAM_9351.jpg

I rough scored him and have him a little over 100". Im super happy with him and have some good meat to eat for the next few weeks.

• Like 7

Very nicely done. Good looking buck. If I find one like that, I'll not waste time taking pictures, I'll be shooting!

What rifle/bullet did you use?

Great buck! Congrats! Are you getting him mounted............sure would look good on the wall!