Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

Unit 3C

Well, after one disappointing weekend seeing only one shooter buck, and not getting in position to get a shot at him, both of my boys (12 and 14) got it done.

My youngest got a shot at a monster 4x4 on the second to last day of the hunt. Estimated 28" wide. He was hunting with my buddy Bryan, and the shot was a bit longer than he's ever tried at 350+ yards. I'm told the shot was about 2" low from the puff of dust, but was dead on target right to left. Later that evening, he got on another sizeable buck but didn't get a shot opportunity. My oldest didn't have any luck glassing with me ... we saw doe and elk, but the only buck worth looking at was disappearing over a distant ridge when we saw him.

Last day of the hunt, we decided to glass some cuts where we'd seen some deer drop off the ridges at dusk the night before. My youngest and I got on a spike, while my oldest went a ways off to glass another cut with my buddy. Our little spike was uncooperative and daylighted (thankfully ... I really didn't want him to shoot a spike anyway). From a distance we heard one shot and then nothing. Quick call confirmed that my oldest had a Fork down. One shot and dropped where he stood. We got to him as quick as we could, and Dad made with the guttin'. I worked as quick as I could, and before long we were back hunting trying to get my youngest on a buck. I kinda figured we'd used up our luck for the day, but it wasn't long before my oldest pointed out another buck feeding in some downed timber. This time it wasn't such a long shot, and the aim was true. 4x3 down.

I have to give a big thanks to my buddy ... couldn't have gotten it done without him. Hunting with both kids together the weekend before just didn't work that well ... they were too inclined to talk and make noise. Once we got them separated, they quieted down and really worked at finding deer. That, and Bryan can generally find a needle in a haystack when it comes to finding animals in the wild ...

post-3141-0-39424800-1383632031_thumb.jpg

post-3141-0-87558400-1383632072_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Greta job, congrats!

I packed hard candy in my pocket when I took my daughters hunting, would give them one and tell they no talking until its done, no chewing either.....

congrats to you and your boys for gettin it done!

James

Thanks guys.

So late when I wrote this (I was falling asleep at the switch) I forgot to give public thanks to the CWT member who shared some insight on the unit (though I did send a PM the next AM). SO ... thanks buddy!!! I appreciate your willingness to compare notes on the area. It definitely helped narrow down what we decided on.

Folks on this site are great!!!