Sign in to follow this  
parrita58

updated Venison Birria.....it's what's for dinner

I have 10 pounds of venison cooking on the stove top right now. Making one of my favorite venison dishes Birria...can't wait for tonight. Warm corn tortillas, shredded lettuce, sliced radishes, red salsa, limes and some cold ones...mmhhhhh

post-9063-0-73838300-1383946739_thumb.jpg

post-9063-0-00370700-1384061067_thumb.jpg

post-9063-0-40011400-1384061117_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lol no they are not eggs, it's a whole onion and a head off garlic. Birria is a shredded meat stew made with either goat, venison, pork, or beef, or all of them together for a bold flavor.

Recipe as follows

10 lbs of venison

1 1/2 onion

4 dried chile ancho

4 dried chile pasilla

4 dried new mexico red chilie

10-15 garlic cloves

3-4 bay leafs

2 tbs of whole peppercorn

5 liters of water

3 tbs cumin

Procedure:

In a medium sauce pan place chilies, bay leaves, pepper corns, half of the garlic, and half the onion and fill with water. Boil once and shut heat of and let steep. Put everything in a blender add some water from the pan and some salt blend until you get a smooth runny sauce. Set aside

Get your meat and cut it in 2 inch squared pieces and put in a large pot and add your chile sauce and let marinade for at least 8 -hours out overnight for better flavor, personally I like to add 3 pounds of pork to add some fat content. After it marinades fill with water and turn up the heat to high and add couple of bay leaves, the rest of the onion, garlic, and cumin. After it boils turn heat to low it's fine even the meat falls apart by it self around 2-3 hours. Add salt and Mexican oregano towards the end for deep flavor

You can serve it in a bowl topped with shredded lettuce sliced radish some lime juice and warm corn tortillas, or server it in tacos with your toppings and your favorite salsa. Bon appetite

Hope I explained my self.

• Like 2

Mark, I have been looking for a venison birria recipe for years. Thanks abunch for posting this.

I cant wait to make it, but when I do I am going to use is cabbage instead of lettuce. :P

• Like 1

It's done, I'll post pics in a bit lol. Hey bonecollecter I live in Rio Rico exit 12 jaja I like anything but Coronas lol I'll be waiting

• Like 2

Mark, I have been looking for a venison birria recipe for years. Thanks abunch for posting this.

I cant wait to make it, but when I do I am going to use is cabbage ninstead of lettuce. :P

It's pretty simple to make 25-06 you simply put everything in a pot and you let it cook, you can also use a crockpot and leave it all night long, it's great for breakfast in the mornings after a night off drinking lol works great for hangovers

• Like 1

I cant wait to make it, but when I do I am going to use is cabbage ninstead of lettuce. :P

It's pretty simple to make 25-06 you simply put everything in a pot and you let it cook, you can also use a crockpot and leave it all night long, it's great for breakfast in the mornings after a night off drinking lol works great for hangovers

You aint gotta tell me it works for hangovers....I eat it all the time, the only bummer is I have to drive across town to get it.

Good stuff :)

• Like 1

Have had birria for real in Mexico...it is the best

Exactamente! Tacos de birria in Mexicali are the best!

• Like 1

Thanks. Hope to be able to try this in about a month. Wonder how this would be with Javalina?