Sign in to follow this  
khmer6

New Remington 700 in 7mm RM

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 700 in 7mm RM with a 26" 1:9.25 twist, with 3-9x40 glass for under $300 I was wondering if anyone of you guys hunt with this caliber or even this gun.

What off the shelf ammo have you had experience with and accuracy?

Also if anyone reloads or casts for it, would love to see what kind of powder and projectiles are giving you the most out of your rifle. I don't know if casting lead will be in her future, pushing lead that fast in a magnum cartridge :

• Like 1

I have one with a 24" barrel I bough back in the early 90's and it shoots most everything under an inch at 100 yards.

Running nosler brass and hornaday brass with h1000 in both of ours. Sendaro shoots 1/2 inch at 200 other shoots 1 inch groups at 200. Solid caliber. Hornaday 162 sst is a solid factory load

168 berger and H4831 or Retumbo have worked best for me.

168gr HVLD's, 70.5gr H1000, Norma brass, CCI LRM primers. This is where I ended up with my 7mm RM so far out to 700yds and things are good. I hope to shoot out to 1k in the next few weeks.

You can use HSM 168gr Berger HVLD loads as well. If it shoots them really good at the std spec they are loaded at you may just save yourself a whole bunch of time or at least have a factory load option. Sportsman's carries them when they are in stock.

Hey guys,
I just picked up a 700 in 7mm RM with a 26" 1:9.25 twist, with 3-9x40 glass for under $300 I was wondering if anyone of you guys hunt with this caliber or even this gun.
What off the shelf ammo have you had experience with and accuracy?
Also if anyone reloads or casts for it, would love to see what kind of powder and projectiles are giving you the most out of your rifle. I don't know if casting lead will be in her future, pushing lead that fast in a magnum cartridge :

Nobody worth their salt is going to shoot cast bullets in a 7Mag since they are limited to under 2000fps. Waste of powder and lead unless your in the Upper Penninsula in January.

you do not say what you are shooting. sounds like a great buy. mine both shoot great. just adjust the trigger and load some good ammo. a 140 berger or balistic tip, a 139 hornady btsp or a 168 berger.

Hoping for an elk tag next year and maybe a light load on deer.

No more available it was a mix of black Friday sale and some haggling.

Thanks for the advice guys going to do some load development after javelina season.

Cast boolits can be pushed past 2000fps. Many do it regularly without leading or defunct accuracy. Now for pushing the 7mm magnum, I am not sure how well it would do with cast. The Lee soup can doesn't sound like a good candidate.

The 7 RM is a very fast, very flat shooting, capable of taking anything walking in this state and most others. Never heard of anyone shooting cast bullets in one though, it would be like taking a Derby winner and giving pony rides at the fair. I use IMR-4350 with a Nosler AB in mine, groups really well.

Find one load that shoots best and use it for deer, elk, whatever. You have a rifle that can reach way out there no reason to limit it with light loads. Finding a good load and practicing and determining what you and your gun can do will make hunting much more enjoyable than shooting a bunch of loads. Of course if you have the time knock yourself out. I myself would not shoot cast bullets in a magnum rifle but you may have some good reasons I am not familiar with.