Sign in to follow this  
parrita58

What camo to buy????

This probably had been spoken about in past discussions, but I couldn't find anything on it. I'm I'm the market to buy new camo for my up coming archery hunt and was looking for suggestions on what would be the best material for our Arizona brush. What I'm really interstate in is something that will keep all those thorns and brush debree from sticking to my pants. I have used max-1 camo from Habitat, cabelas open country camo, ranger, I was wondering if the higher priced camo is worth the purchase and the money. Those desert king camo work well against all that brush that sticks to cloth. I was also leaning towards buying Sitka gear but those are pricy, don't want something that I won't be comfortable with. All suggestions are welcome. What have you guys have the best luck with?

Kings desert shadow is my top pick, the max-1 is good too though. I only buy/have those two camo patterns, well, nevermind I have a kings mountain shadow long sleeve shirt that is nice to. In shorter words I like kings camo the best, and very inexpensive.

• Like 1

My main concern is, those it keep all that brush from sticking to your clothes?

Get Predator camo. I use the fall brown from forest To Desert And It Works great. I've had hunters walk right up to me, then walk away without them noticing I was there. Checkout their website and order direct.

Thanks guys I will check into all your suggestions.

Mossy Oak Brush does a good job down here. As for materials- it's a trade off. Anything tougher than the thorns and stickers is noisy, and everything super quiet will eventually get you torn up by them. I use the russell APX L1 and L2 stuff, from base layers to outer. If I'm hunting a real brushy and thorny spot I trade the pants for a dark brown or tan pair of Columbia or LL Bean upland hunting pants. Down here I worry less about brush and thorns and more about having to sit, kneel, or lay on jagged rocks.

Look at Kuiu.com. Everyone I hunt with is replacing their Sitka for Kuiu products. I've had my pants for 2 years now and they've held up pretty good. I have some sitka but the Kuiu Attack pants are lighter, more comfortable, and they didn't get shredded buy the cat claw like the sitka pants did. After. One. Hunting. Trip. Plus, I really like the Vias camo pattern, it doesn't blob out at distance and really breaks up your outline.

Oh, and while they are still pricey, they are cheaper than sitka!

• Like 1

For archery hunts in the brush/catclaw when I need quiet pants, I have worn my Russel APXG2 single layer pants (don't remember the model name). They do very well at resisting snags on catclaw....you will get poked now and then though. A lot cheaper than Sitka and good quality. I have comparable Core 4 Element pants too, but haven't put them to the catclaw test yet. They seem a bit lighter weight than the Russel. You can find good prices on C4E gear on camofire. I also like the regular weight cotton pants with zip-off legs for warmer hunts. I just unzip half way to vent my legs while glassing or when it isn't too brushy. I have only found these at Bass Pro (Red Head brand). If quiet isn't a concern, like for rifle hunting, I wear the Carhartt double front dungarees in green or tan. Very thick and tough material against catclaw and rocks. They are roomy with deep pockets. As for shirts/jackets, I like the Kings Desert Shadow long sleeve shirts. If needed, I wear C4E merino wool base layer under the Kings shirt. The Russel L2 or L3 jackets hold up well in catclaw for an outer layer. The patterns I have on the above mentioned items are Mossy Oak Treestand and Mountain Mimicry. Both do well for all AZ areas. My old cotton camo is Predator and Max1. The key to a good pattern is a loose pattern that doesn't "blob out" at distance, and good contrast between the color shades.

^i think I just bought a pair of the russell pants you're describing. Apxg2 Zepher pant I think. Black Friday sale at sportsman's for $55 bucks! I also have a pair of core4 pants lighter weight than the russells, the switchback pant. They are auper comfy but didn't hold up too well to catclaw. They come with foam knee pads though, and like I said super comfy.

Look at Kuiu.com. Everyone I hunt with is replacing their Sitka for Kuiu products. I've had my pants for 2 years now and they've held up pretty good. I have some sitka but the Kuiu Attack pants are lighter, more comfortable, and they didn't get shredded buy the cat claw like the sitka pants did. After. One. Hunting. Trip. Plus, I really like the Vias camo pattern, it doesn't blob out at distance and really breaks up your outline. Oh, and while they are still pricey, they are cheaper than sitka!

Buy Kuiu, you won't regret it. It's the only camo I buy now.

• Like 1

Kryptek core4element firstlite