Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Hunting with a friend who has a tag

How sticky would the situation be if you're carrying your predator hunting rifle with a friend who has a tag and a deer rifle and you are there solely for moral and pack-out support??? I would NEVER shoot at a deer without being properly licensed with a tag and my buddy is a great shot with his 30-06. but if I saw any predators and he gave me the nod... I'd be happy to oblige. Should I just leave it at home so that it doesn't cause the slightest question or what? I am not hunting deer, but hiking and glassing with a guy who's hunting deer. Just to be clear up until now I've been carrying only my CCW on my hip. I just wanna carry my .223 bobcat slayer around tomorrow... What issues do I face if I choose to bring that rifle???

None If you have a hunting license, I do this all the time, I do carry a lion tag with me as well. You should be fine. Most game wardens are understanding, I've yet been questioned.

Its a hard one to call you know what your using it for but a G&F officer might second guess it. Maybe somebody on here has a answer for you or the next best thing call and talk to G&F personally.

You would be considered to be Hunting right along side him. I asked G&F that very question and they responded that you can Not carry a gun capable of killing the animal that the season is open for, IE any rifle or shotgun with slugs or buckshot.

I was typing when this was posted. I do carry a lion tag with me as well. You should be fine. Most game wardens are understanding, I've yet been questioned. Now if you have one and it is open in the unit you guys are in then you could justify the rifle.

Elkhunter, that was pretty much how I am thinking. But it would be different if I was hunting alone, as I am obviously a licensed hunter engaging in legal predator hunting. Where does all this fit into being allowed to carry a gun for protection? Is it limited to a handgun with a barrel of 4" or less just like during the archery seasons?

My next question would be... What makes a lion tag more of a valid reason than any other???

i think its all B.S.

can someone post a regulation or something to back this up. until then ill keep doing what i do (always have a lion tag anyways).

BTW every time ive been checked by a warden they never ask for a tag, just my license.

My personal opinion? And I shot my deer earlier this week, also have my hunting partners approval. If I see a lion and a 99" buck, I shoot the lion! 100" or bigger I let him fill his tag and then shoot the lion (if possible).

Elkhunter, that was pretty much how I am thinking. But it would be different if I was hunting alone, as I am obviously a licensed hunter engaging in legal predator hunting. Where does all this fit into being allowed to carry a gun for protection? Is it limited to a handgun with a barrel of 4" or less just like during the archery seasons?

My next question would be... What makes a lion tag more of a valid reason than any other???

I was going based on past experiences, however after reading the regs I can't find anything that would suggest you can not hunt simultaneously with your friend. Years ago I know units up north were closed to other big game hunting during the Elk hunts as fare as the same unit goes unless you had an Elk tag also.

I would think that if you are hunting together, that you are both actively hunting deer, and that puts you without a license. I don't think the handgun is as much of an issue because it is of a personal protection issue. I was once camped next to a group that had kids, and they had the kids moving through canyons to push deer towards shooters. a game warden gave them a warning that those kids were considered hunting because they were actively in persuit of deer.

Years ago there was a law that limited those who could be in the field with a rifle during a permitted hunt to those with a valid permit. So if I had drawn a deer permit and you hadn't, I was the only one who could carry a rifle. After multiple revisions, this law is now gone. Now days the answer is yes you can carry a rifle if you have a valid license while out with a friends on their deer hunt. However, this looks like you are buddy hunting to a Game Ranger. In addition you are not helping your friend find a deer if you are shooting at coyotes. My recommendation is to leave the rifle in the truck or at home until your friend gets a deer.

Interesting topic, how can game and fish regs effect your 2a rights? Just because it's hunting season and you have a rifle shouldn't warrant any type of violation.

You mentioned PACK OUT SUPPORT, I would leave it in the truck for this reason alone, one less thing to deal with when getting the job done.Besides deer only comes around so often you can shoot coyotes all year round. What ever decide good luck

I have always carried my rifle with a buddy & now my son who is hunting after I have tagged my big game for three reasons:

(A) I always have a lion tag

(B) we almost always hunt down south, I would rather be in a gun fight with a long gun than not...enough said

© my buddies are clumsy and I would hate for them to fall and knock there scope out of whack and not know if there gun is sighted