Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Would you rather

Would you rather shoot a decent mule deer with your bow in January, or rifle hunt for coues in the fall? I doubt I would get lucky enough to arrow a mulie, but I don't even think I am going to put in for a tag this year. I can't imagine taking a year off of coues hunting.

I only bow hunt at this time, I would shoot! I am going to get an "OLD" rifle action and barrel to build around soon, then anything inside 600 will die.

• Like 1

If you mean that you aren't applying for deer next year...then yes; go after a mule deer with your bow!

Ernesto C

both .... hunt in New Mexico for coues/mule deer.....

never pass up an opportunity to hunt, life is short and precious.... we are so fortunate to have the right to hunt

• Like 2

In my book a deer with a bow is more of an accomplishment than taking one with a rifle. If u get a opportunity to take one with your bow I wouldn't pass

• Like 1

Redman said it best.

Hunt every hunt as if it were your last. It sucks to look back on all the shoulda coulda wouldas. Trust me.

• Like 1

Take what you can get. There's so many other places and species to hunt

for me it is the quality of the hunt not the quality of the antler I would kill any legal buck with a bow regardless of what rifle tag I had drawn

• Like 2

Bow. Make it a fun challenge.

My attitude will change once my current dry spell ends, but for right now it's any antlered deer any time of year...I have plenty of buddies to help out on coues rifle if I get lucky in Jan. :D

If you shot a deer with a bow in Jan., is there anything from keeping you from applying for a fall rifle tag or bonus point? If you got drawn obviously you could not hunt but you could transfer the tag to your kid.

Both :)

I'm learning that if the opportunity presents itself on Jan 1st or Dec 31st I will take it. That is probably my 2nd biggest hunting lesson I learned in 2013. I've always been so afraid of tagging out and missing the rest of the year, but not anymore. I'll just spend the rest of the year helping others on their hunt.