Hunter4Life09

need some help

Last year I shot a Winchester Model 70 Coyote Lite 300 WSM. It was stolen about 4 months ago. I replaced it with a Savage 116 7mm REM MAG. I love them both, but if I had to my choice, I'd take the 7mm REM MAG. That round with 168 Berger VLD Hunting seated .06 OAL and pushed with 65.3 of IMR 7828 is a very mean and deadly round.

It is hard to beat the 7mm for easy ammo access and good performance. I shoot .257 Weatherby because I like calibers that are a little off the beaten path, but I am going to start working with a 2nd rifle for longer range hunting and it will probably be a 7mm Mag because I already have it and it will perform well.

Research both calibers and load data. Then plug them both into ballistics software. I think you will find that the 7mm Rem Mag holds a distinct edge over the 300.

The 7mm may be ballistically superior at long ranges, it's debatable, but aside from that the Remington 700 Platform provides endless opportunities to modify your rifle one piece at a time, much of which does not require a gun smith. Definitely suggest building from that. Take what you learn and do a second build on the Weatherby later on.

Has anybody compared the 300 running the new 215 Berger against the 7mm and 180 Berger on the calculator?

It would be interesting to compare the wind and energies.

Has anybody compared the 300 running the new 215 Berger against the 7mm and 180 Berger on the calculator?

It would be interesting to compare the wind and energies.

Hey Mike, while you are sitting around in the dark today maybe you could run those calculations. I think you will discover what you already know, there is no superior caliber. It is all about what you are after there is always a trade off. Are you after less drop, more foot pounds of energy at 800 yards, less wind drift, do you want to compare grain for grain bullet weight or are the other factors of more importance, do you want less recoil? I love both of these calibers but favor the .30 because of all of the choices you have for them these day's.

Rex, do you read my mind?? I think I'll have some time today to run some numbers. ;) You Illustrated why the 7mm isn't 'superior' and vice versa. Each are superior to the other in different categories but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

As far as sitting around in the dark, I'll be sitting at the range today fine tuning loads for my latest 308 barrel. At least it isn't -20 like it was yesterday and the day before...I think I'll hit the 2750'sec mark today with the 190 VLD over R17. 2700 in 28" pipes is under SAMMI spec pressure. With 29" and 5R rifling, I'm sure 2700' is even more so under max spec pressure. I've already topped 2700. Bolt lifts like its an empty chamber and primers look new minus the dimple from the firing pin. Thank goodness for mercury vapor range lights!! BTW we'll be gaining daylight in a couple more days! :D