Couestracker

How many points?

I got drawn in 2010 with 8 bonus points. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody! First off you have to apply for the draw to get drawn, so don't miss it no matter what! Your best bet will be to apply for units that don't have many tags come out of the 20% set aside. Unit 9/10 has one of the best odds. The 46's usually have better odds than most but be prepared to take stock in or hike a LONG ways to hunt. Some others as well but some of these units can be nasty! Just ask Tom Wagner, who is on day 20 of his hunt in the Gilas.

Good Luck!

I drew a desert tag on my first attempt and a rocky tag 5 years later so you never know.

• Like 1

If you are more than 3 pts off max, the reality is you are not going to catch that group. The first key is applying to units that don't go to max point holders the second key is actually being in the draw. There is no point in buying bonus points for sheep, you need your name in the hat. Think of it this way, 20 yrs of applying with 3% odds gives you a 60% chance at drawing a tag some time.

BTW I just got done calculating all the draw odds for antelope from 2013, it's not much better in that game.

I've been applying since my early 20's and am past 50 now. I have max points and share the sentiments it would be nice to draw sooner rather than later! That said, you're specific question was the inevitable, "which unit" question. You might want to contact Don Martin of Arizona Wildlife Outfitters and discuss specific unit draw option strategies. He and I are friends and I admit I DO NOT follow his draw strategy (he knows why and "gets it"); however, if I were at less than max &/or a nonresident I would wholeheartedly follow his plan. He knows the local DBS scene and will willingly share info with you, client or not.

Good luck to us all in the 2014 drawings!

Jim Rich

MV, AZ

• Like 2

I got my Desert with 8 BPs and sitting on 15 for Rocky. anything is possible. maybe they would put an archery only tag in a couple of units, that would be cool.

• Like 1

I got my Desert with 8 BPs and sitting on 15 for Rocky. anything is possible. maybe they would put an archery only tag in a couple of units, that would be cool.

+1 I'm all for an archery only sheep hunt!

• Like 1

Why don't we leave the archery or rifle choice to the person who drew the tag. There's limited tags regardless and now you want to segregate it??? Making tags even harder to draw!

/>I got my Desert with 8 BPs and sitting on 15 for Rocky. anything is possible. maybe they would put an archery only tag in a couple of units, that would be cool.

Im definitely down for some archery only sheep tags!!!!!!!!! That would be nice!!!!!!

Why don't we leave the archery or rifle choice to the person who drew the tag. There's limited tags regardless and now you want to segregate it??? Making tags even harder to draw!
+1