Sign in to follow this  
mklong40

December Tag Filled

I had the pleasure of helping my good friend Chris on his december hunt this week. He his a member here and I know some of you know him personally. He drew a coveted december tag finally and it all came together on Thurs. afternoon. Opening morning Chris glassed a great buck at about 700 yards. We guessed the buck at over 105" and closer to 110". A shooter in our book. Chris made a move and as they so often do, the buck gave us the slip. Saturday came and although we were seeing bucks all day we werent seeing the big ones. Sunday morning came and our friend Adam glassed another great buck at over 100". Chris gave it his best shot and the buck was able to slip down a canyon bird dogging doe's and slipped out. Fast forward to Thursday. Chris and I are spotting deer all morning...mainly Chris. I started thinking my eyes werent working. We made a decision to relocate from our original spot based on the wind and it paid off. Chris pegged two smaller bucks pushing doe's and I finally came through and glassed the buck Chris shot bedded at 356 yards. He was alone with no doe's. After about an hour of sizing him up Chris determined it was a good mature buck. We guessed him right at the 100" mark give or take a few inches in either direction. Chris settled in for the shot. He made a last minute adjustment to his scope for the range and wind. I saw the shot ripple through the buck and he immidiately dropped and rolled. It was a perfect quartering away shot. The opposite shoulder was blown out by the 150gr .284" sierra game king. We were able to make it to the buck and noticed it had broke its G2....I made sure Chris was not dissapointed. This is a great buck. Both main beams are over 19". Inside spread is over 16" and the mass measurements are awesome. Its right at 100" not broke with tons of character. Very happy for my buddy. He has helped drag 2 deer out with me recently and he was due.

The buck as we found him. He's right in the center of the pic.

post-5969-0-23830500-1387658050_thumb.jpg

As he layed when we walked up.

post-5969-0-10029500-1387658131_thumb.jpg

Chris with his trophy.

post-5969-0-30750500-1387658161_thumb.jpg

Packing out.

post-5969-0-72218400-1387658380_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading.

• Like 4

Nice Buck! I'm hoping I can fare as well as you guys.

Bret

Super nice Congrats to the hunter.