Sign in to follow this  
DNS

Unit 27 December Rifle Mule Deer Buck

Just got back from my December rifle mule deer hunt in 27. I hunted for 8 days and saw 53 bucks and countless does. The first couple of days we saw mostly small bucks with does, but then starting seeing some good bucks on day 3. Most of the bigger bucks were 130"-160" bucks. I've hunted 27 a lot and have seen some good ones over the years during the rut. I killed a buck that gross scored 172" almost 20 years ago and my goal on this hunt was to find something better than that if possible.

Here is a big wide 3X3 that I seriously considered taking. I figured he was pushing 30" wide. I found him a few times and he was going to be my back-up buck if I couldn't find anything bigger. In most of the hunts I usually draw I wouldn't have hesitated on this buck. He is a nice buck, but I am glad I waited.

post-11812-0-25680500-1387690614_thumb.jpg

On Day 8 the snow storm came in and we were seeing deer moving all day. We had already seen 8 bucks that day including a nice 4X4 and 4X3, but we decided to move to a different side of the unit that afternoon. Immediately when we got there we saw a decent 3X3 pushing some does. Awhile later my dad says "there's a deer. There's a buck. He's a good buck. He may be a shooter take a look at him". As soon as he said it was a good buck I chambered a round and moved over to where I could see it. The buck had moved up the thick hill a little so I had to get around some trees to see him. As soon as I put my scope on him I knew he was the one I wanted. I calmed my nerves a little and settled in and squeezed the trigger. Immediately I knew the buck was hit good. Instead of watching the buck like I should have I looked over at my dad and said "I hit him hard". I looked back up and the buck was gone. I got over to where I thought the buck was standing and looked up the hill and could see a deer butt. I couldn't believe he went that far. Then I looked over to my right and the buck was down right there (it was one of his does up the hill). It only went a few yards from the shot. There was no ground shinkage at all. I looked at the mass and deep forks and couldn't believe it.

Here are a few of the pictures of him. I put him up against the 172" buck and he dwarfed it. I taped it out, but am curious what you guys think he scores from the pictures. I can attach more angles if it helps. The pictures don't do justice to how much mass he carries

post-11812-0-79529800-1387690922_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-62223300-1387690939_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-16275200-1387690971_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-87258200-1387690989_thumb.jpg

This was by far the best deer hunt I have had. Great times with my dad and getting to see so many deer each day. The buck I was fortunate to harvest wasn't bad either.

• Like 5

Very Nice Buck!! You definitely put in the time for that one!! Congratulations!!

awesome buck dude. glad to hear 27 is doing so well. also, i cant believe you passed on that wide buck i would of had to take him without a doubt. it worked out though

awesome buck dude. glad to hear 27 is doing so well. also, i cant believe you passed on that wide buck i would of had to take him without a doubt. it worked out though

I found that wide buck bedded @ 75 yards and looked him over good with a round chambered. I saw that he had back forks, but couldn't see front forks so i moved slowly toward him trying to get him to stand. I got to within 50 yrds of him before he stood up and i confirmed he didnt have front forks on either side. I thought I might regret not taking him, but it worked out.

• Like 2

Awesome buck. With all that mass and those deep forks he is all of 190". Congrats, and enjoy the time with your dad, it can come to an end sooner than you think it will.

Wow, that's a fantastic buck! Good story too. Awesome you got to share it with your Father. Congratulations.

Great buck! My guess would be around 187" how many points did you have to get that tag?

I just got lucky drawing this tag. We always put in for an easy draw 2nd choice so we go every year. I moved to NM for a couple of years and hunted over there and haven't gotten my loyalty point back so I just had the hunter ed point. Usually my dad and brother put in with me, but this year they decided to put in for a different hunt 1st choice. I got tag #24 so if we all would have put in together I wouldn't have got it. When I saw that I drew this hunt I looked at the website 50 times to make sure it was real.