Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

What is this?

Stumbled upon this thing while out exploring, and was curious if anybody knows what it is. I'm thinking some sort of trap, but I didn't see any mechanism that would close the entrance off. The sides are made out of what looks like nylon rope, and there was a flake of alfalfa inside and a trail of alfalfa leading up to it. Any thoughts?

post-5555-0-62350500-1388685137_thumb.jpg

post-5555-0-44706200-1388685155_thumb.jpg

Trap. They are getting them used to going into the trap for the food. When they are used to it then it will be made into a functioning trap. IMO

Me thinks maybe a shed trap???

That is a shed trap. A lot of guys will leave them up year round and then bait them in the spring. I guess no more corn/alfalfa for their traps now eh? Not much of a trap without the bait. Soccer goal?

Copy that, I guess it's cool for the Coon and Carp to bait elk and deer huh

Apparently it is an elk trap set up by Game and Fish. Did a google search on elk traps. Here is a link that explains a little more and shows some pictures of what they're doing with them http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/research_elk_I17.shtml I still can't see a mechanism in this particular trap that closes the entryway, but maybe they're just getting the elk used to them before they start trapping to put radio collars on them.

Not sure why the link I posted doesn't take you to the page, but I was able to copy and paste the link to a browser and make it work that way. Sorry, guess I'm not a high-tech redneck, haha.

Not sure why the link I posted doesn't take you to the page, but I was able to copy and paste the link to a browser and make it work that way. Sorry, guess I'm not a high-tech redneck, haha.

You had too many extra characters at the end of your link. Try this: http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/research_elk_I17.shtml